XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?

Post by Tom M. Kroeg » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I'm having the darnedest time getting X to work on my
Dell Inspiron 7500 (15.4in screen SXGA).
I've followed the directions for methods 1, 2 and 4 on

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/xserver.html

(I'm running Debian 2.1 -- built my own kernel 2.2.12 copied
the .config file from the description on method 2 at the
above url)

With the first method I get the closest.  I manage to get a graphical
screen and can see most of the window manager, but many vertical lines
seem shifted or blank and there are lines trailing everything that's
not the background.  Could I just need to adjust the XF86Config? if so
how do I adjust this?  Does anyone have an XF86Config that worked
on this the 15.4" screen?

Method 2 --  Frame buffers work great! but I'm unable when I
start X I get the exact same thing as above. Again I think I
just need to change the XF86Config.

Method 4 --  the stock FBDev xserver seems to be linked with
glibc 2.1 I get  (I'm running debian 2.1 which has glibc = 2.0.7
or something like that -- I'd like to avoid going to the unstable
libc if at all possible)

 undefined symbol: __register_frame_info

Is there somewhere I can get a copy of this server and build it.
(I'm downloading xfree-3.3.5- as I write this if that's got
an option to build a Frame Buff version then great!  --
is there any config info I might want to copy from your
compile?)

There were server posts here about having it working with
Frame Buffers -- I'm unclear exactly how to make this happen.
I copied the XF86Config that Barry Flanagan posted (thanks)
but when I tried to start X (using the servers for method 1
& 2 above) I got:

"You must provide a "Screen" section in XF86Config for at
least one of the following graphics drivers: accel

-- So again I suspect I need to figure out how to get/build
the frame buffer server.

Anyhow any advice, pointers, information or funny looks  are
very welcome.

Thanks for your time,
--

                       tmk

Tom M. Kroeger                           Pray for wind
Graduate Student, UC Santa Cruz      \    Pray for waves

http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~tmk         |~\
(831) 459-4458                       |__\
(831) 426-9055 home                 ,----+--

XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?

Post by Michel Polott » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Have you looked at http://www.coralys.com/linux/dell7500.shtml?
You might find what you need there.

Michel Polotto.