Exporting X to other servers ?

Post by Bret » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

The Configuration
============
I have 2 machines one running Redhat 6.0 and the other running Windows NT.
I want to be able to use the Gnome environment on my Windows NT Machine.
The Procedure
==========
I downloaded an X server for Windows NT and brought it up, And connected to
my Linux machine using telnet.
The only way that I can find to run the Gnome on my Windows based X server
was to run xterm -display 192.168.0.139:0.0 and then run gnome-session from
the terminal that is spawned on my Windows Machine.

The Question:
=========
Surely there must be a better way of telling the WM etc. to default to the x
server on 192.168.0.139:0.0 ?
I tried typing > DISPLAY=192.168.0.139:0.0 at the bash prompt before running
gnome-session to no avail.
I cant seem to find any relevant configuration files.
Is there a proper procedure that I should be following .... maybe something
I could REXEC ???

Thanks for taking the time to read this far.

Regards Brett

http://www.khaoz.co.za
http://www.dropzone.co.za

Exporting X to other servers ?

Post by Jeff Volckaer » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Your using MI/X?  It doesn't support XDMCP which is about the only I know of
to use a remote window manager.  Try X-win32 from www.starnet.com.  It has a
2 hour session limit on the free demo, but supports XDMCP and dual monitor
under win98.

Jeff Volckaert

Quote:> The Configuration
> ============
> I have 2 machines one running Redhat 6.0 and the other running Windows NT.
> I want to be able to use the Gnome environment on my Windows NT Machine.
> The Procedure
> ==========
> I downloaded an X server for Windows NT and brought it up, And connected
> my Linux machine using telnet.
> The only way that I can find to run the Gnome on my Windows based X server
> was to run xterm -display 192.168.0.139:0.0 and then run gnome-session
from
> the terminal that is spawned on my Windows Machine.

> The Question:
> =========
> Surely there must be a better way of telling the WM etc. to default to the
> server on 192.168.0.139:0.0 ?
> I tried typing > DISPLAY=192.168.0.139:0.0 at the bash prompt before
running
> gnome-session to no avail.
> I cant seem to find any relevant configuration files.
> Is there a proper procedure that I should be following .... maybe
something
> I could REXEC ???

> Thanks for taking the time to read this far.

> Regards Brett

> http://www.khaoz.co.za
> http://www.dropzone.co.za

Exporting X to other servers ?

Post by Charles Mul » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>The Configuration
>============
>I have 2 machines one running Redhat 6.0 and the other running Windows NT.
>I want to be able to use the Gnome environment on my Windows NT Machine.
>The Procedure
>==========
>I downloaded an X server for Windows NT and brought it up, And connected to
>my Linux machine using telnet.
>The only way that I can find to run the Gnome on my Windows based X server
>was to run xterm -display 192.168.0.139:0.0 and then run gnome-session from
>the terminal that is spawned on my Windows Machine.

>The Question:
>=========
>Surely there must be a better way of telling the WM etc. to default to the x
>server on 192.168.0.139:0.0 ?
>I tried typing > DISPLAY=192.168.0.139:0.0 at the bash prompt before running
>gnome-session to no avail.
>I cant seem to find any relevant configuration files.
>Is there a proper procedure that I should be following .... maybe something
>I could REXEC ???

>Thanks for taking the time to read this far.

>Regards Brett

>http://www.khaoz.co.za
>http://www.dropzone.co.za

go take a look at http://www.msu.edu/~mulksc/LinuxHints

1. Solaris 2.4; how to export rw to some, ro to others?

On a Solaris 2.4 system, I wish to export a filesystem ro to some
hosts and rw to others (and in some cases, root to yet others).
I tried entering the following in /etc/dfs/dfstab:

        share -F nfs -o rw=lion,ro=tiger:panther -d "patches" /patches

Then I did /etc/init.d/nfs.server stop and start.  It looked like it
worked.  "share" gave the following output:

-               /patches   rw=lion,ro=tiger:panther   "patches"

but when I try to mount /patches from tiger, I get

tiger#66> mount cats:/patches /mnt1
nfs mount: cats:/patches: access denied

Can anyone help?

And while I'm asking about nfs, is there a way other than running the
nfs.server script (thus stopping and starting ALL nfs service) to share or
re-share a single filesystem?  I've learned that "share /patches" isn't
enough as you have to specify all the parameters on the command line (i.e.,
the dfstab file isn't read) or you end up sharing rw to the world!

Many thanks - Susan

2. Boot failure after Solaris 7 Recommended patches installation

3. Can access to Web server through SmoothWall, but Mail server & others can't ?!

4. Bluetooth

5. Shared Apache Server Security from Others on Server

6. Insight invited on new Linux installation

7. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

8. New Device Driver Tutorial ?

9. Apache::StatINC and re-exporting exported subroutines

10. working NFS refuses to export / selective export?

11. Site that some can access, and others cannot - maybe related to proxy servers

12. socks/tcp server failing (looping) & others

13. NFS export: trouble exporting read/write