Using NON_MONO font with PEX-SI ???

Post by Joachim Wesn » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 21:41:57

Hi,

I'm using the PHIGS-API to the PEX-SI on a Linux box and am porting a large
Fortran App from a workstation and it works quite well so far (even if it is
usually claimed that PEX-SI without without hardware support should be
terribly sloooooooow, I'm happy enough ! :-)) )

Question: I know that PEX-SI comes with TWO contributed fonts: Roman and
Roman_M, the latter being the default font. The PHIGS-API without modification
only supports the mono-font and maps all font #s to # 1. How to use the second
font from Phigs ???? Simply renaming the files shows that the non_mono
font also works with PHIGS, but that's not what I need, I would like to
have both fonts avail as #1 and #2. (By the way, this is NOT the problem
with fonts-not-found as another poster wrote, my system finds the PEX-
fonts without any help! )

From studying the documentation in the R5 source tree, I get the idea
that this must be somehow possible with a PEXLIB call, most likely

PEXOpenFont(Display *display, pexFont font, char *fontname)

as also appears in the PHIGS-API source tree in R5, but I do not know the
Display ID that PHIGS uses nor what I need to put as fontname, the file name
or a more complicated font specification ???

Any hints will ne greatly appreciated !

Joachim

Using NON_MONO font with PEX-SI ???

Post by Karl Schul » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 02:20:09

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm using the PHIGS-API to the PEX-SI on a Linux box and am porting a large
> Fortran App from a workstation and it works quite well so far (even if it is
> usually claimed that PEX-SI without without hardware support should be
> terribly sloooooooow, I'm happy enough ! :-)) )

> Question: I know that PEX-SI comes with TWO contributed fonts: Roman and
> Roman_M, the latter being the default font. The PHIGS-API without modification
> only supports the mono-font and maps all font #s to # 1. How to use the second
> font from Phigs ???? Simply renaming the files shows that the non_mono
> font also works with PHIGS, but that's not what I need, I would like to
> have both fonts avail as #1 and #2. (By the way, this is NOT the problem
> with fonts-not-found as another poster wrote, my system finds the PEX-
> fonts without any help! )

> From studying the documentation in the R5 source tree, I get the idea
> that this must be somehow possible with a PEXLIB call, most likely

> PEXOpenFont(Display *display, pexFont font, char *fontname)

> as also appears in the PHIGS-API source tree in R5, but I do not know the
> Display ID that PHIGS uses nor what I need to put as fontname, the file name
> or a more complicated font specification ???

> Any hints will ne greatly appreciated !

There is a PHIGS API call (pset_text_font) that selects the font to use.  I
would try using fonts 1 and 2 at first and see if that works.  e.g:

        pset_text_font( (Pint) 1);
        pset_text_font( (Pint) 2);

I believe that the SI server loads the two fonts into a LUT on start-up, so
both fonts might already be available for selection with the above command.

1. PEX-FONT Problem ROMAN_M (using Trident 9445 beta driver)

I hope I am not being a burk but I am having great trouble resolving a
problem with X from Slackware official CD release 3.0
I have loaded the X series disks selecting generic SVGA server. Since I
have a Trident 9445 video card I am using a beta copy of 3.1.2b server
copied over the one loaded from CD. All the CD font options have been
installed. When I start X all seems ok until I try to load x-applications
eg xfilemanager. This app starts to load then aborts. The error message
on the console reads

PEXExtensionInit: Can't load default PEX font file ROMAN_M

I have checked all the font files and cannot find any reference to ROMAN
font.

Can anyone advise on how to;

Fool the system into thinking ROMAN_M font exists or ...
Get a copy of the correct font file or ...
Instruct PEX? to use an alternative font file

Thanks for any help you can offer;

Cheers.

2. Sendmail question

3. Specialix SI patches available - SI V1.x support

4. Where can I get info in BIND and IEN 116 nameserving

5. Solaris 2.6, HP LaserJet 5 Si, JetAdmin, default font

6. Distro Taste Testing

7. Need Bar Code Font for Solaris2, CDE, Oracle Reports, HP5-Si/MX

8. Saving GDB session

9. xmklinux won't start - complains about PEX Roman_M font

10. how do I find PEX font files?

11. Can't start openwin, can't find PEX font?

12. XF86 prob with PEX font file

13. Help! Error opening PEX default font at startx