Upgrading to the new Version of Xfree86

Post by The Gebheim » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Ok, now. I need to know if anybody has any ideas on this. On our computer we
are running A Diamond Viper V330 which is supported in V 3.3.2 of XF86, but
we cannot configure our modem to download the new version in linux and
install it so it works correctly. Any ideas on how we can.

1. Transfer the files from dos to linux
or
2. configure our modem. We get a "Unable to find usable depth" error
 whatever that is) when we try t run control-panel. So we cannot configure
the modem! Is there a way to do it with the command line based stuff.

Please email me back on this, it would help us out very much.

Paul Gebheim

Upgrading to the new Version of Xfree86

Post by suds » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> 2. configure our modem. We get a "Unable to find usable depth" error
>  whatever that is) when we try t run control-panel. So we cannot configure
> the modem! Is there a way to do it with the command line based stuff.

It looks like you have run out of colour. Anyway, it has nothing to with
modem.
The control-panel(I'm assuming RH5.0) just creates a link /dev/modem for
you.
You can do this from command line as:

prompt> ln -sf /dev/cua0 /dev/modem
               ^^^^^^^^^this depends on to which port the modem is
connected. In the above example I assumed it to be on COM1, if you have
it on COM2 change cua0 to cua1 and if on COM3-->cua2 etc...

HTH,

suds

1. Why upgrade XFree86 from version 3.1.1 to 3.1.2?

I have a Linux system based on Slackware 2.3, with kernel 1.2.8 and
XFree86 version 3.1.1.  I am considering upgrading various parts of
the system and want to consider whether there is a good reason before
doing so.

Can you cite a document I can get that will describe the benefits of
upgrading from XFree86 version 3.1.1 to 3.1.2, or can you tell me from
your own experience why I should or should not make this upgrade?

Thanks.

<< Gerry                  (Gerry Tool)

2. Freeze in KDE

3. Upgraded to XFree86 3.3.2 but version stilll 3.3.1

4. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 2 of 6)

5. XFree86 2.1.1 to 3.1.1 upgrade and libc version

6. somebody!i740.

7. New version of XFree86 ? Anyone ?

8. XFS and TTF problem

9. New XFree86 version? (when)

10. Upgrading to new computer & OS version

11. how to upgrade the linux to a new version?

12. New version of X Mosaic; upgrade now!

13. upgrade to a new version of glib