xfig 3.1 dumps core

Post by Fuming Womb » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I recently compiled/installed xfig 3.1 on top of kernel 1.2.13 and
>XFree86 3.1.2.  There were no obvious problems during the compile, but
>I'm seeing a couple of problems when running it:

>- I can't pop up the "fill color" dialog box using the button at the
>  bottom of the screen.  All I get is an error  message that says
>  something about not being to allocate colors.  However if I go on
>  and create the object in black and white, then select "Edit" I can
>  change the colors to whatever I want.

>- The program frequently takes a SIGSEGV and dumps core.  Sometimes when
>  I'm trying to change colors, but not always, and there seems to be
>  no consistent way to trigger it.

>Just wondered if anyone else has seen this or has any ideas what might
>be wrong.

Yes, I've seen this with version 3.1.4 (Xfree86 3.1.2, kernel 1.3.20,
gcc2.7.0, a.out, I built this system from scratch so almost everything
is current). I get an error when trying to change the colors. Frequent
SIGSEGVs. Exporting to GIF or JPEG results in all-black image (libjpeg
5.0pl1). Exporting to XPM works though and I can use pbm utils to
convert from xpm to gif/tiff or whatever (not JPEG). I'm running with a
16 bit display which I expect might be the source of the color problem.

It's a very usefull program with lots of features... it just disappoints me
that version 3.1.4 runs like it was still ALPHA code.

-Matt Hudson

xfig 3.1 dumps core

Post by Brian V. Smi » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

|> >I recently compiled/installed xfig 3.1 on top of kernel 1.2.13 and
|> >XFree86 3.1.2.  There were no obvious problems during the compile, but
|> >I'm seeing a couple of problems when running it:
|> >
|> >- I can't pop up the "fill color" dialog box using the button at the
|> >  bottom of the screen.  All I get is an error  message that says
|> >  something about not being to allocate colors.  However if I go on
|> >  and create the object in black and white, then select "Edit" I can
|> >  change the colors to whatever I want.
|> >
|> >- The program frequently takes a SIGSEGV and dumps core.  Sometimes when
|> >  I'm trying to change colors, but not always, and there seems to be
|> >  no consistent way to trigger it.
|> >
|> >Just wondered if anyone else has seen this or has any ideas what might
|> >be wrong.
|>
|> Yes, I've seen this with version 3.1.4 (Xfree86 3.1.2, kernel 1.3.20,
|> gcc2.7.0, a.out, I built this system from scratch so almost everything
|> is current). I get an error when trying to change the colors. Frequent
|> SIGSEGVs. Exporting to GIF or JPEG results in all-black image (libjpeg
|> 5.0pl1). Exporting to XPM works though and I can use pbm utils to
|> convert from xpm to gif/tiff or whatever (not JPEG). I'm running with a
|> 16 bit display which I expect might be the source of the color problem.

xfig doesn't handle any visual other than 8-bit PseudoColor.  I hope
to remedy that someday soon.

|> It's a very usefull program with lots of features... it just disappoints me
|> that version 3.1.4 runs like it was still ALPHA code.

I'll be glad to refund your money :-)

Seriously, until recently, there haven't been any complaints about xfig not
working in other visuals, presumably because servers that have 24-bit or other
visuals still offer the 8-bit PseudoColor as the default.

I try to keep xfig up to date with features and server requirements, but it is
not part of my real job (you know, the one I am paid for :-) so not everything
can get done.

Also, I rely a lot on other users who kindly contribute their code, suggestions
or bug fixes to keep xfig going.

--

Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL; they don't pay me enough for that.

xfig 3.1 dumps core

Post by -Fales,P. » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Yes, I've seen this with version 3.1.4 (Xfree86 3.1.2, kernel 1.3.20,
>gcc2.7.0, a.out, I built this system from scratch so almost everything
>is current). I get an error when trying to change the colors. Frequent
>SIGSEGVs. Exporting to GIF or JPEG results in all-black image (libjpeg
>5.0pl1). Exporting to XPM works though and I can use pbm utils to
>convert from xpm to gif/tiff or whatever (not JPEG). I'm running with a
>16 bit display which I expect might be the source of the color problem.

I started this thread so I'll follow up with a little more information.
It turns out that I only see these problems when I'm running the server
(ATI Mach 64) in 16 bit mode.  I haven't seen any problems when
running in 8-bit.  I also haven't seen the problem when I export
my DISPLAY to a Sun Workstation and run xfig on my Linux system.  Does
that mean the problem is with the server rather than with xfig itself?
I haven't tried the GIF/JPEG export yet, so I'll give that a try.

--
Peter Fales                       AT&T, Room 1P-419
N9IYJ                             1200 E Warrenville Road

1. xfig 3.1 dumps core

:
: - I can't pop up the "fill color" dialog box using the button at the
:   bottom of the screen.  All I get is an error  message that says
:   something about not being to allocate colors.  However if I go on
:   and create the object in black and white, then select "Edit" I can
:   change the colors to whatever I want.

Run xfig as the only process on your X-Server. Especially if you have
Mosaic, Netscape or xv running before xfig, you will run out of colours on a
8-bit server.

:
: - The program frequently takes a SIGSEGV and dumps core.  Sometimes when
:   I'm trying to change colors, but not always, and there seems to be
:   no consistent way to trigger it.
:
: Just wondered if anyone else has seen this or has any ideas what might
: be wrong.
:
Did you compile a kernel on your machine? Did you get SIGSEGV before?

2. acrobat reader problem

3. Slackware 3.1 Core Dumps??

4. installation

5. slackware 3.1 kernel 2.0.0 dumps core (has to do with modules)

6. printcap settings needed without Postscript

7. Satrack 3.1 core dump BSD 3.4

8. dual boot problem on hp pavilion (win98 + mandrake 7.2)

9. Slackware 3.1 and Core dumps?

10. Core dumped installing StarOffice 3.1

11. Newbie just had a Star Office 3.1 core dump?

12. jdk1.1.7 core dumps on freebsd 3.1 release

13. Slackware 3.1 Core Dumps??