xconsole can't open /dev/console

Post by Sifalakis Manoli » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have installed RH5.0 and even though xconsole and /dev/console have
the correct
owner/group, and permissions, when i try to run xconsole as a user, it
reports:
"Couldn't open console" . When i am logged in as root it works just
fine.
Even if i change permissions (to make it setuid root), or owner-group,
it doesn't
seem to work.
 In previous releases that i was using it worked OK ...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

TIA
Manolis

Post by Joachim Wesne » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have installed RH5.0 and even though xconsole and /dev/console have
> the correct
> owner/group, and permissions, when i try to run xconsole as a user, it

Which permissions did you set ??

Quote:> Even if i change permissions (to make it setuid root), or owner-group,

setuid root what, xconsole ? the X server ?

Quote:> Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

I'm not fully sure, but in the lastest X11R6 release, it is considered a
too big security hole to run the X server setuid root and you should use
a xwrapper instead. Probably, the X server is now even confingured that
way that it  even ignores setuid root when it finds it's set that way.
Check what version of X you have there !

Joachim

xconsole can't open /dev/console

Post by John Stran » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

For my Slackware 3.4 here is some of my fixes:

cd /dev
rm console
MAKEDEV console
chmod +r /dev/tty0                      # allow users to run xconsole & c ppp results
chmod +s /usr/games/koules.svga         # allows koules run as a user

                                        # now allow koules to init the mouse as a user
        ls -l /dev/mouse > /tmp/t.tt
        awk '{ printf "chmod 666 /dev/%s\n", $11 }' /tmp/t.tt > /tmp/t.t
         aa=`cat /tmp/t.t`
        `$aa`
        /bin/rm /tmp/t.tt /tmp/t.t

cd ~-/

: >

--
While DSC may claim ownership of all my ideas (on or off the job),
DSC does not claim any responsibility for them. Warranty expired when you

Post by Sifalakis Manoli » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> For my Slackware 3.4 here is some of my fixes:

> cd /dev
> rm console
> MAKEDEV console
> chmod +r /dev/tty0                      # allow users to run xconsole & c ppp results

THANKS A LOT for the suggestions , the above part of your posting was
the solution to my problem !!!!

I cannot understand whats the use of having both tty0 and console as
devices
but anyway thanks again !

.WILLY

        Sifalakis Manolis  (WILLY)

           tel: +30 01 6544279          NCSR DEMOKRITOS