1. 'uname' is not updated after installing new '2.4.20' kernel??
using gentoo RC2.
I was using kernel 2.4.19.
when I did emerge 2 days ago, it downloaded a new kernel 2.4.20.
Ok, So I went to /usr/src and made a link to the new directory
and configured new kernel and build it (and modules, modules_install
as I have done zillon times before:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Mar 4 09:37 linux ->
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 840 Mar 4 09:36
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 840 Mar 4 10:02 linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r1
next, as usuall, I copied the newly compiled bzImage to /boot/bzImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1485414 Mar 4 10:05 bzImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1283810 Mar 1 18:48 bzImage.old
next I rebooted. btw, I am not using lilo, but the other boot manager
I think it is called grub.
so, after I shutdown the system and boot, I select as before the file
/boot/bzImage using the command
now, when the system is up, I do 'uname' expecting it to say 2.4.20,
it is still saying 2.4.19 !
Linux mymachine.mydomain.com 2.4.19-gentoo-r10 #2 SMP Sat Feb 1
17:17:15 PST 2003 i686 Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.40GHz GenuineIntel
How could this be? is there another method to verify which kernel
I am running??
2. ? " core " file
3. It's not bad canned meat...
4. question for Accel X users
5. Fold multiple lines using sed or awk
6. Strange kernel log message: kernel: set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 55 to 6
7. How to setup PPP
8. panel crahses at start-up and online update's don't run
9. Why is OpenBSD's locate update beating FreeBSD's locate update speed?
10. Kernel update. '/boot/module-info' question.
11. Unable to run 'make menuconfig' to tune kernel
12. running programs is really slow since update to 2.0.xx kernel..