Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by lm9use » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 04:33:44

Does anyone know of their availibility ?

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by Bob Tennen » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:01:48

 > Does anyone know of their availibility ?

Unless one looks very carefully, Arial is indistinguishable from
Helvetica.  Get Arial and other good-quality ttf fonts here:

http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

Bob T.

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by lm9use » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:28:15

>  > Does anyone know of their availibility ?

> Unless one looks very carefully, Arial is indistinguishable from
> Helvetica.  Get Arial and other good-quality ttf fonts here:

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Bob T.

tell that to the shitty apps that crash because helvetica fonts are
unavailable. I even created aliases for helvetica in Xftconfig but
obviously, the app doesn't use that font library.

If I install a font package having non-TTF helvetica, unfortunately, it
contains other fonts that*up ALL my AA fonts !

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by Bob Tennen » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:26:04

 >> Unless one looks very carefully, Arial is indistinguishable from
 >> Helvetica.  Get Arial and other good-quality ttf fonts here:
 >>
 >> http://www.veryComputer.com/
 >
 > tell that to the shitty apps that crash because helvetica fonts are
 > unavailable. I even created aliases for helvetica in Xftconfig but
 > obviously, the app doesn't use that font library.

Then create aliases in a fonts.alias.  Or configure the app to use Arial.
If necessary, re-compile it.

 > If I install a font package having non-TTF helvetica, unfortunately, it
 > contains other fonts that*up ALL my AA fonts !

Then remove those other fonts from the relevant fonts.dir.

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by lm9use » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:52:22

>  >> Unless one looks very carefully, Arial is indistinguishable from
>  >> Helvetica.  Get Arial and other good-quality ttf fonts here:

>  >> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>  > tell that to the shitty apps that crash because helvetica fonts are
>  > unavailable. I even created aliases for helvetica in Xftconfig but
>  > obviously, the app doesn't use that font library.

> Then create aliases in a fonts.alias.

This maybe worth looking at but I do not think that will solve the AA
problem as long as the app does NOT use freetype lib. In fact, I already
foolishly tried this before with java's font.properties file - the JVM uses
compiled-in motif libraries for fonts ( and all else).

Or configure the app to use Arial.

Read the above.

Quote:> If necessary, re-compile it.

Sorry, I do not want to recode the app and compile it - ain't worth it.

Quote:

>  > If I install a font package having non-TTF helvetica, unfortunately, it
>  > contains other fonts that*up ALL my AA fonts !

> Then remove those other fonts from the relevant fonts.dir.

The problem is if I install say 100dpi fonts, which contain helvetica, when
a web page uses a font present in the path, the crappy font will appear,
un-antialiased. Dunno which fonts I can keep and which not.

So the BEST solution for me is to have TTF fonts which will then be rendered
AAed for those apps that DO use freetype and the rest will run without AA
but at least will not crash.

Do NOT overlook the SIMPLEST solution first.

I do not think that the el-cheapo webart CDs in BB/CUSA contain helvetica
fonts.

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by Bob Tennen » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:22:49

 > The problem is if I install say 100dpi fonts, which contain helvetica, when
 > a web page uses a font present in the path, the crappy font will appear,
 > un-antialiased. Dunno which fonts I can keep and which not.

Put the directories containing ttf and type1 fonts before the other
directories in the font path.

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by Gregory Davi » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:12:47

>>  > Does anyone know of their availibility ?

>> Unless one looks very carefully, Arial is indistinguishable from
>> Helvetica.  Get Arial and other good-quality ttf fonts here:

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> Bob T.

> tell that to the shitty apps that crash because helvetica fonts are
> unavailable. I even created aliases for helvetica in Xftconfig but
> obviously, the app doesn't use that font library.

> If I install a font package having non-TTF helvetica, unfortunately, it
> contains other fonts that*up ALL my AA fonts !

Time to roll up your sleeves...  You have the helvetica font probably named
"helvitca.ttf".  Copy it over to the directory with your other ttf files.
Go to http://www.veryComputer.com/
small tool that will help us make font.alias files (ttmkfdir).  It might
already be on your computer.  Go into that ttf directory and (after backing
up the other fonts.dir file) make a new fonts.dir file using ttmkfdir.  The
fonts.alias file can just be a copy of that.  Restart X and that should
help X.  To include helvetica into printing requires use of a shell script
called mkfontmap, in which you append the output of running mkfontmap on
the ttf directory to "/path/to/ghostscript/libs/fontmap".  If you already
have ttf and AA support, this is not as hard as it looks, just read the
documentation for these programs as they are weird in their usage.

Greg

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:22:41

>> Unless one looks very carefully, Arial is indistinguishable from
>> Helvetica.  Get Arial and other good-quality ttf fonts here:
> tell that to the shitty apps that crash because helvetica fonts are
> unavailable. I even created aliases for helvetica in Xftconfig but
> obviously, the app doesn't use that font library.

True, if the app isn't using Xft, then you need to setup a fonts.alias file
in your fonts directory too.

--
Rex A. Dieter
Computer System Administrator

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:25:04

(using font.alias)...

Quote:> This maybe worth looking at but I do not think that will solve the AA
> problem as long as the app does NOT use freetype lib.

Untrue.  As long as your using a font-server (ie, xfs) that supports
truetype, then pretty much *any* app can use them.

Quote:>In fact, I already
> foolishly tried this before with java's font.properties file - the JVM
> uses compiled-in motif libraries for fonts ( and all else).

FYI, We've been successfully using TrueType fonts with sun-j2se1.3 and
sun-j2se1.4.  As a matter of fact, the java runtime is distributed with
TrueType fonts.

--

Post by lm9use » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:07:46

>  > The problem is if I install say 100dpi fonts, which contain helvetica,
>  > when a web page uses a font present in the path, the crappy font will
>  > appear, un-antialiased. Dunno which fonts I can keep and which not.

> Put the directories containing ttf and type1 fonts before the other
> directories in the font path.

I know what you're saying but the problem is that an app, for e.g. a
browser, will, say, use 'helvetica' if its available and if its not, it
will use the defaults I configured it to use; the font path is not the
issue here.

An e.g. is mandrake's website- it looks crummy unless I remove the offending
fonts completely from the path when it defaults to Arial. If I had TTF
fonts for whatever mandrake coded into their web pages, I do not have to
worry.

I think creating aliases in NON-TTF fonts.dir files may offer a way out, but
I've to spend some time on what fonts need to be aliased and to what. This
may work because I still have some non-ttf fonts in my path that are NOT
offensive ( not used by web apps commonly) so I can alias to them !

Thanks.

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by lm9use » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:11:27

I do NOT have helvetica TTF fonts and searched the web for free helvetica
TTf fonts in vain. That is the problem.

Boy, are you still using RH 5.1 ?

That was MY first linux distro :-) I didn't have BB then so I bought a box
copy. Now I stick to mdk ( 9.0 for now).

>>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>>> Bob T.

>> tell that to the shitty apps that crash because helvetica fonts are
>> unavailable. I even created aliases for helvetica in Xftconfig but
>> obviously, the app doesn't use that font library.

>> If I install a font package having non-TTF helvetica, unfortunately, it
>> contains other fonts that*up ALL my AA fonts !

> Time to roll up your sleeves...  You have the helvetica font probably
> named
> "helvitca.ttf".  Copy it over to the directory with your other ttf files.
> Go to http://www.veryComputer.com/
> small tool that will help us make font.alias files (ttmkfdir).  It might
> already be on your computer.  Go into that ttf directory and (after
> backing
> up the other fonts.dir file) make a new fonts.dir file using ttmkfdir.
> The
> fonts.alias file can just be a copy of that.  Restart X and that should
> help X.  To include helvetica into printing requires use of a shell script
> called mkfontmap, in which you append the output of running mkfontmap on
> the ttf directory to "/path/to/ghostscript/libs/fontmap".  If you already
> have ttf and AA support, this is not as hard as it looks, just read the
> documentation for these programs as they are weird in their usage.

> Greg

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by Allen Cride » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:10:49

> I do NOT have helvetica TTF fonts and searched the web for free helvetica
> TTf fonts in vain. That is the problem.

Helvetica is not open source. Apple includes it in Truetype format on
Macintoshes. If you really want tt helvetica, you need to get it (them)
from a Mac user and convert it to Windows/DOS-style TT with a font
converter.

> Boy, are you still using RH 5.1 ?

> That was MY first linux distro :-) I didn't have BB then so I bought a box
> copy. Now I stick to mdk ( 9.0 for now).

>>> tell that to the shitty apps that crash because helvetica fonts are
>>> unavailable. I even created aliases for helvetica in Xftconfig but
>>> obviously, the app doesn't use that font library.

>>> If I install a font package having non-TTF helvetica, unfortunately, it
>>> contains other fonts that*up ALL my AA fonts !

>> Time to roll up your sleeves...  You have the helvetica font probably
>> named
>> "helvitca.ttf".  Copy it over to the directory with your other ttf files.
>> Go to http://www.veryComputer.com/
>> small tool that will help us make font.alias files (ttmkfdir).  It might
>> already be on your computer.  Go into that ttf directory and (after
>> backing
>> up the other fonts.dir file) make a new fonts.dir file using ttmkfdir.
>> The
>> fonts.alias file can just be a copy of that.  Restart X and that should
>> help X.  To include helvetica into printing requires use of a shell
>> script called mkfontmap, in which you append the output of running
>> mkfontmap on
>> the ttf directory to "/path/to/ghostscript/libs/fontmap".  If you already
>> have ttf and AA support, this is not as hard as it looks, just read the
>> documentation for these programs as they are weird in their usage.

>> Greg

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by Hal Burgis » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:00:03

> An e.g. is mandrake's website- it looks crummy unless I remove the
> offending fonts completely from the path when it defaults to Arial. If
> I had TTF fonts for whatever mandrake coded into their web pages, I do
> not have to worry.

> I think creating aliases in NON-TTF fonts.dir files may offer a way
> out, but I've to spend some time on what fonts need to be aliased and
> to what. This may work because I still have some non-ttf fonts in my
> path that are NOT offensive ( not used by web apps commonly) so I can
> alias to them !

Why not just alias helvetica to arial and be done with it? I don't get
the hang up with TT on this.

I am curious, do you have the ability to post a screenshot of
linux-mandrake.com? I've looked at this quite a few different ways:

 Netscape
 Mozilla (vanilla) 1.2b
 Mozilla+xft nightly (AA)
 Mozilla+gdkxft 1.1  (AA)

The only one that seems offensive to me is NS, and its not all *that*
bad, but could show some definite improvement.

Another little trick for the perversely anal, is I used privoxy's
(http://privoxy.org) page filtering to substitute arial for helvetica on
the above page, and it was slightly better, but not drastically better.

So, anyway, I am curious as to what you see.

--
Hal Burgiss

Free TTF helvetica fonts ?

Post by Gregory Davi » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 02:41:57

> I do NOT have helvetica TTF fonts and searched the web for free helvetica
> TTf fonts in vain. That is the problem.

> Boy, are you still using RH 5.1 ?

> That was MY first linux distro :-) I didn't have BB then so I bought a box
> copy. Now I stick to mdk ( 9.0 for now).

>>> tell that to the shitty apps that crash because helvetica fonts are
>>> unavailable. I even created aliases for helvetica in Xftconfig but
>>> obviously, the app doesn't use that font library.

>>> If I install a font package having non-TTF helvetica, unfortunately, it
>>> contains other fonts that*up ALL my AA fonts !

>> Time to roll up your sleeves...  You have the helvetica font probably
>> named
>> "helvitca.ttf".  Copy it over to the directory with your other ttf files.
>> Go to http://www.veryComputer.com/
>> small tool that will help us make font.alias files (ttmkfdir).  It might
>> already be on your computer.  Go into that ttf directory and (after
>> backing
>> up the other fonts.dir file) make a new fonts.dir file using ttmkfdir.
>> The
>> fonts.alias file can just be a copy of that.  Restart X and that should
>> help X.  To include helvetica into printing requires use of a shell
>> script called mkfontmap, in which you append the output of running
>> mkfontmap on
>> the ttf directory to "/path/to/ghostscript/libs/fontmap".  If you already
>> have ttf and AA support, this is not as hard as it looks, just read the
>> documentation for these programs as they are weird in their usage.

>> Greg

I'm actually using linuxfromscratch, as prescribed by v3.3.  If you don't
have to do that stuff with later distros, its because they probably
automate it.  If you really need to do it by hand, thats how to do it.

Greg