GDM Customisation

Post by <p.. » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I run gdm on a dual head system (single logical diaply though using
+xinerama with XFree86R4).  This results in the gdm login display being
split across the two displays.  I have tried invoking gdm-login with
various geometry options, but all are rejected as invalid options.

The Gnome site states that you can customise gdm, but how??

GDM Customisation

Post by rbr.. » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Have you tried modifying the gdm.conf file in /etc/X11/gdm.

You can pass parameters to the X-server. Look at the bottom of the file.

I have a similar problem to you. I too have dual-monitors. However, when
GDM comes up it is displayed only on the left monitor. Then when I login
I get two window-managers, one on each monitor.

If I hear anything I will let you know via this news group thread.

> I run gdm on a dual head system (single logical diaply though using
> +xinerama with XFree86R4).  This results in the gdm login display
being
> split across the two displays.  I have tried invoking gdm-login with
> various geometry options, but all are rejected as invalid options.

> The Gnome site states that you can customise gdm, but how??

> --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

GDM Customisation

Post by <p.. » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Yours sound like a simple problem.

By the sounds of it the window manager you refer to isn't KDE or GNOME.
I think your configuration for X must be something like this;

        XF86R4.0 configured correctly yo recognise your two cards.
        GDM login.
        Enlightenment (?) , XFCE or FVWM as a window manager.

If this is the case, you can easily make the X server create only logical
screen from the two displays.

As you mentioned, edit the gdm.conf file.  In the servers section you need
something like this;

[servers]
0=/usr/bin/X11/X +xinerama

You will now have one window manager and the same gdm login problem as I
have.

> Have you tried modifying the gdm.conf file in /etc/X11/gdm.

> You can pass parameters to the X-server. Look at the bottom of the file.

> I have a similar problem to you. I too have dual-monitors. However, when
> GDM comes up it is displayed only on the left monitor. Then when I login
> I get two window-managers, one on each monitor.

> If I hear anything I will let you know via this news group thread.

> > I run gdm on a dual head system (single logical diaply though using
> > +xinerama with XFree86R4).  This results in the gdm login display
> being
> > split across the two displays.  I have tried invoking gdm-login with
> > various geometry options, but all are rejected as invalid options.

> > The Gnome site states that you can customise gdm, but how??

> > --

GDM Customisation

Post by Alex Deuche » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

The difference is that you are using xinerama, and he is using
multihead. Multihead is two separate screens (can be different res,
color depths, etc., but no dragging between), whereas xinerama is a
single logical screen.

Alex

> Yours sound like a simple problem.

> By the sounds of it the window manager you refer to isn't KDE or GNOME.
> I think your configuration for X must be something like this;

>         XF86R4.0 configured correctly yo recognise your two cards.
>         GDM login.
>         Enlightenment (?) , XFCE or FVWM as a window manager.

> If this is the case, you can easily make the X server create only logical
> screen from the two displays.

> As you mentioned, edit the gdm.conf file.  In the servers section you need
> something like this;

> [servers]
> 0=/usr/bin/X11/X +xinerama

> You will now have one window manager and the same gdm login problem as I
> have.

> > Have you tried modifying the gdm.conf file in /etc/X11/gdm.

> > You can pass parameters to the X-server. Look at the bottom of the file.

> > I have a similar problem to you. I too have dual-monitors. However, when
> > GDM comes up it is displayed only on the left monitor. Then when I login
> > I get two window-managers, one on each monitor.

> > If I hear anything I will let you know via this news group thread.

> > > I run gdm on a dual head system (single logical diaply though using
> > > +xinerama with XFree86R4).  This results in the gdm login display
> > being
> > > split across the two displays.  I have tried invoking gdm-login with
> > > various geometry options, but all are rejected as invalid options.

> > > The Gnome site states that you can customise gdm, but how??

> > > --

1. restarting gdm after changing gdm.conf

Hello, all.

I'm using RedHat 6.1 with the October Gnome updates.  My system is set to
start gdm on boot (default runlevel 5).

Some apps prefer 16-bit color (like CivCTP), and others, like GnuCash, need
32-bit color.  So, I find myself switching between the two fairly
frequently.  I don't really have enough RAM to run 2 X sessions at the same
time, so I just go in and edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf to change the color
depth.

Here's my question: after I edit this file, is there a quick way to get gdm
to re-read it and restart?  I've tried kill -HUP, but that seriously
confuses gdm.  The only thing I've found that works is to log in as root
and 'telinit 3; telinit 5'.  That's a pain, though.  Is there anything
better?  I haven't been able to find any detailed docs about gdm.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

2. Multiple configurations for ONE networkadapter

3. gdm_config_parse : Can't find the gdm group (gdm) Aborting!

4. Waffle and Linux

5. Afterstep customization...

6. UNIX Certification

7. login / customization

8. Diamond steatlh 64 video Vram

9. KDM Login Screen Customization

10. Csh prompt customisation

11. Mouse pointer customisation - KDE menus

12. keyboard customization in X

13. KDE customization