How do I put icons in X-windows?

Post by Chris Zimmerma » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

How do I go about installing icons in x on the desktop and in the menu?  For
example, I just installed Netscape 4.05, but I can only launch it from an
xterm.  I would also like to create a group in the menu for the utilities
that I use, so how is it done? I am using X 3.3.1 under slackware 3.4
(2.0.30).

Thank you in advance....

Please remove the "nospam" to respond by e-mail.

Post by Jim Bianc » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

>How do I go about installing icons in x on the desktop and in the menu?  For
>example, I just installed Netscape 4.05, but I can only launch it from an
>xterm.  I would also like to create a group in the menu for the utilities
>that I use, so how is it done? I am using X 3.3.1 under slackware 3.4
>(2.0.30).

        Which window manager are you using? Whichever one it is, likely
it'll have an .rc file in your home dir. E.g., fvwm will use ~/.fvwmrc,
fvwm95 will use ~/.fvwm2rc95. Afterstep v1.0 will use ~/.steprc.

        Now, if these files do not exist in your home dir, you'll have to
search for and copy to your home dir the system files. Use:
$ find / -iname "system.fvwm*"

        Running this on my system, I get a lot of stuff, among which are:
/var/X11R6/lib/fvwm/sample_configs/system.fvwmrc
/var/X11R6/lib/fvwm95-2/system.fvwm2rc95

        These files should be copied to your home dir WITHOUT the leading
'system' but WITH the leading dot. (Of course, if you're using another wm,
substitute the name accordingly.) THESE are the files you'll want to edit in
order to customise X to your taste (as far as icons and menu entries are
concerned). Open the applicable one with a text editor, and just follow the
existing formats when adding entries. Note: you should not edit the system
rc files, you should first copy them to your home dir and then modify them.

--

Eclectic Garbanzo BBS, (707) 539-1279