RH6 , TNT2 x is about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily

RH6 , TNT2 x is about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily

Post by mnip » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a Leadtek S320II on an Abit BX6r2 motherboard, several OS'
multi-boot. My RH6 install was 'everything'. RH6 detects the card as a Viper
V770, which seems close enough. It does not detect the RAMDAC, though, so I
choose the generic recommended. I think that may be the cause of the
following problem

I have tried every possible resolution and color depth configuration of
Xconfigurator, but the Gnome desktop with the enlightenment window manager
always comes up in a ridiculously low resolution, I'm guessing 320x200. As
you can imagine, almost nothing can be done to explore settings at that
size, I can't even find the exit command on the menu. Its all I can do to
kill x without a hardware reset.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I need the latest TNT X-server
rpm to even get X started. Thanks for any advice.

RH6 , TNT2 x is about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily

Post by Axel Francerie » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a Viper V770 (which is detected as u mention), and i have exactly the
same problem : X keeps jumping at 320x200, which is unusable.
I thought it might come from the monitor (I use a 1024x768 flat LCD Panel)
but i'll take your RAMDAC intuition.
Let me know if you find a solution, and send me you email address if you
want to know more.

Axel.

Quote:> I have a Leadtek S320II on an Abit BX6r2 motherboard, several OS'
> multi-boot. My RH6 install was 'everything'. RH6 detects the card as a
Viper
> V770, which seems close enough. It does not detect the RAMDAC, though, so
> choose the generic recommended. I think that may be the cause of the
> following problem

> I have tried every possible resolution and color depth configuration of
> Xconfigurator, but the Gnome desktop with the enlightenment window manager
> always comes up in a ridiculously low resolution, I'm guessing 320x200. As
> you can imagine, almost nothing can be done to explore settings at that
> size, I can't even find the exit command on the menu. Its all I can do to
> kill x without a hardware reset.

> Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I need the latest TNT
X-server
> rpm to even get X started. Thanks for any advice.

RH6 , TNT2 x is about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily

Post by Barry J. Grund » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Have you guys gone to www.nvidia.com and downloaded the linux driver?  It
worked great for me.  I have a V770 ultra running at 1024x768 in 32bpp.

Barry

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Barry J. Grundy

> I have a Viper V770 (which is detected as u mention), and i have exactly
the
> same problem : X keeps jumping at 320x200, which is unusable.
> I thought it might come from the monitor (I use a 1024x768 flat LCD Panel)
> but i'll take your RAMDAC intuition.
> Let me know if you find a solution, and send me you email address if you
> want to know more.

> Axel.

> > I have a Leadtek S320II on an Abit BX6r2 motherboard, several OS'
> > multi-boot. My RH6 install was 'everything'. RH6 detects the card as a
> Viper
> > V770, which seems close enough. It does not detect the RAMDAC, though,
so
> > choose the generic recommended. I think that may be the cause of the
> > following problem

> > I have tried every possible resolution and color depth configuration of
> > Xconfigurator, but the Gnome desktop with the enlightenment window
manager
> > always comes up in a ridiculously low resolution, I'm guessing 320x200.
As
> > you can imagine, almost nothing can be done to explore settings at that
> > size, I can't even find the exit command on the menu. Its all I can do
> > kill x without a hardware reset.

> > Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I need the latest TNT
> X-server
> > rpm to even get X started. Thanks for any advice.

RH6 , TNT2 x is about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily

Post by Michael Wellma » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Nvidea has released driver for the TNT and TNT2.  The drivers are for
X and Mesa(openGL).  I'd definitely use those drivers.

Also, when you're in X and you press [Ctrl]+[Alt] and the + or - keys
what happens?

If the resolution changes then you have to edit the file
/etc/X11/XF86Config.  All you'll be doing is rearanging the order of
the resolution statements for your video card.

If the [Ctrl]+[Alt] and + or - works for you then get back to me and I
can tell you how to edit the file.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 7/5/99, 11:14:33 AM, "Axel Franceries"

about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily:

> I have a Viper V770 (which is detected as u mention), and i have
exactly the
> same problem : X keeps jumping at 320x200, which is unusable.
> I thought it might come from the monitor (I use a 1024x768 flat LCD
Panel)
> but i'll take your RAMDAC intuition.
> Let me know if you find a solution, and send me you email address if
you
> want to know more.
> Axel.

> > I have a Leadtek S320II on an Abit BX6r2 motherboard, several OS'
> > multi-boot. My RH6 install was 'everything'. RH6 detects the card as a
> Viper
> > V770, which seems close enough. It does not detect the RAMDAC, though,
so
> > choose the generic recommended. I think that may be the cause of the
> > following problem

> > I have tried every possible resolution and color depth configuration
of
> > Xconfigurator, but the Gnome desktop with the enlightenment window
manager
> > always comes up in a ridiculously low resolution, I'm guessing
320x200. As
> > you can imagine, almost nothing can be done to explore settings at
that
> > size, I can't even find the exit command on the menu. Its all I can do
> > kill x without a hardware reset.

> > Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I need the latest TNT
> X-server
> > rpm to even get X started. Thanks for any advice.

RH6 , TNT2 x is about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily

Post by mnip » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Nvidea has released driver for the TNT and TNT2.  The drivers are for

X and Mesa(openGL).  I'd definitely use those drivers.

Do they (or anyone) have them in an RPM format that will add it to
Xconfigurator selection menus?

Quote:> If the [Ctrl]+[Alt] and + or - works for you then get back to me and I

can tell you how to edit the file.

Nothing happens with the C.A+/- resolution cycling. I think its the fact
that I chose a generic RAMDAC (none were detected), and X won't push the
issue if it doesn't know what the RAMDAC is capable of.

RH6 , TNT2 x is about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily

Post by Michael Wellma » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Do they (or anyone) have them in an RPM format that will add it to
> Xconfigurator selection menus?

I don't believe they have them in RPM format.  I believe that you have
to follow their instructions when doing the install.  I believe that
they have you run one of the Xconfiguration  programs but they don't
let you probe the card.  Then they have you do stuff manually.

RH6 , TNT2 x is about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily

Post by Yutaka Genj » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've tried to download them from their site all day.  I keep getting ftp
connection errors.  Does anyone have the driver files that could e-mail them
to me?

Thanks in advance,
-Robert

Quote:> Do they (or anyone) have them in an RPM format that will add it to
> Xconfigurator selection menus?

I don't believe they have them in RPM format.  I believe that you have
to follow their instructions when doing the install.  I believe that
they have you run one of the Xconfiguration  programs but they don't
let you probe the card.  Then they have you do stuff manually.

1. RH6 w/TNT2, X res is about 320x200, can't change, can't navigate eaily

I have a Leadtek S320II on an Abit BX6r2 motherboard, several OS'
multi-boot. My RH6 install was 'everything'. RH6 detects the card as a Viper
V770, which seems close enough. It does not detect the RAMDAC, though, so I
choose the generic recommended. I think that may be the cause of the
following problem

I have tried every possible resolution and color depth configuration of
Xconfigurator, but the Gnome desktop with the enlightenment window manager
always comes up in a ridiculously low resolution, I'm guessing 320x200. As
you can imagine, almost nothing can be done to explore settings at that
size, I can't even find the exit command on the menu. Its all I can do to
kill x without a hardware reset.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I need the latest TNT X-server
rpm to even get X started. I was hoping to get RH working as-is before
patching up to newer X components, because I still have network issues to
work out with my 2 NICs and a cablemodem. Thanks for any advice.

2. Warning Messages during boot process/Modules

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. Have these config files been compromised?

5. Detecting dropped socket under Solaris 2.6?

6. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

7. IRQ sharing on Asus P4B

8. CGI: apache canned response

9. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

10. Canned "ping"

11. Any Canned Class code?

12. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?