xlogin locks up w/ new X11v6.4

Post by Michael Cai » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I just recently built and installed the new X11 libs for linux. I'm
currently running Red Hat v4.2. When I start up linux, everything works
fine until it gets to the login.  I get the console login for a split
second then it tries to start up the xlogin. Then, it gets hung up there
and the screen flashes every 5 seconds or so. I'm unable to log in to
even try to track down the problem. Any suggestions on what the problem
could be or any possible solutions? Thanks in advance.

Mike

xlogin locks up w/ new X11v6.4

Post by Mediocrate » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I just recently built and installed the new X11 libs for linux. I'm
> currently running Red Hat v4.2. When I start up linux, everything works
> fine until it gets to the login.  I get the console login for a split
> second then it tries to start up the xlogin. Then, it gets hung up there
> and the screen flashes every 5 seconds or so. I'm unable to log in to
> even try to track down the problem. Any suggestions on what the problem
> could be or any possible solutions? Thanks in advance.

> Mike

I had a similar problem ages ago. The problem was that I was trying to
use a color depth of 24bits and had only setup X for up to 16 bits.
Check your modes that you're using for X and make sure all of them have
been setup correctly. Sometimes it's best to use the default setting of
8 to make sure everything works. I don't know if this relates to
XFree86, but it's something to consider.

                Hope this helps,

                                Matt.

xlogin locks up w/ new X11v6.4

Post by Jeremy Chatfiel » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I just recently built and installed the new X11 libs for linux. I'm
> currently running Red Hat v4.2. When I start up linux, everything works
> fine until it gets to the login.  I get the console login for a split
> second then it tries to start up the xlogin. Then, it gets hung up there
> and the screen flashes every 5 seconds or so. I'm unable to log in to
> even try to track down the problem. Any suggestions on what the problem
> could be or any possible solutions? Thanks in advance.

Regular flashing probably means that the X Server is starting, getting
part way through or even completining initialisation and then failing.
There could be dozens of causes.  First step... does 'X' work?  If that
works, does 'startx' work?  You should also try manually starting 'xdm
-debug 100' at the command line and send the output to a file, so you
can see what it is complaining about (I assume that by 'xlogin' you mean
'xdm'?).

Cheers, JeremyC.
--

 Commercial X Products: Servers, CDE, contracts and custom development