Xfree and Radeon

Post by OD » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 03:46:34

(sorry if this message has been posted twice)

Has anybody ever been able to use XFree (even with the latest XFree 4.1)
with this configuration? (motherboard Asus A7M266 with AMD 761 chipset)

The system always hangs after starting X.

Thanks.
(N.B. ATI Radeon SD-Ram TV-OUT)

Quelqu'un est-il dj parvenu utiliser XFree avec une ATI Radeon SDR
(carte-mre Asus A7M266 avec chipset AMD 761)?

L'ordinateur se plante systmatiquement aprs le dmarrage de X.

Merci de votre aide.

Xfree and Radeon

Post by lobotom » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 08:19:28

I have no experience with your configuration.  But, some things to check
are:  do you have the proper DRM module and AGP support installed
for your card and motherboard, and is the DRM module the latest version?
(the one included with the 2.4.7 kernel works with 4.1)

Quote:> (sorry if this message has been posted twice)

--
PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =

Xfree and Radeon

Post by daeda.. » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 06:07:58

Quote:>> Has anybody ever been able to use XFree (even with the latest XFree 4.1)
>> with this configuration? (motherboard Asus A7M266 with AMD 761 chipset)

if what I have read on a ML is true you should make sure you are using
the latest BIOS version avaible for your motherboard

otherwise someone should attempt to trace what is the cause of the
hangup.

Xfree and Radeon

Post by Edmun » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 09:24:27

I have the AMD 761 chipset, too, as well as the ATI Radeon VE 64 mb DDR
tv-out, and I'm having the same problem.  X is killing me.  I don't know
what to do, the people at Mandrake couldn't tell me what to do - it's chaos.
I've heard that 4.1 and the new kernel might help, so I'm going to look into
that  - I can vouch that 4.1 alone  (with 2.4.3 kernel) did not do the
trick.
The tiny bits I know- the horror is not quite as horrible with the
non-framebuffer option, and on another list I was told that the non-fb
option is the key to success (but he didn't have the 761 chipset ).
A really low resolution worked slightly (640x480) but it quickly went to
pieces.
On another 761 box, with a Radeon LE 32mb DDR card, I had the exact same
problems.
If I don't use X, everything seems fine - is it the same for you?

Bon chance

Edmund

Quote:> (sorry if this message has been posted twice)

> Has anybody ever been able to use XFree (even with the latest XFree 4.1)
> with this configuration? (motherboard Asus A7M266 with AMD 761 chipset)

> The system always hangs after starting X.

> Thanks.
> (N.B. ATI Radeon SD-Ram TV-OUT)

> Quelqu'un est-il dj parvenu utiliser XFree avec une ATI Radeon SDR
> (carte-mre Asus A7M266 avec chipset AMD 761)?

> L'ordinateur se plante systmatiquement aprs le dmarrage de X.

> Merci de votre aide.

Xfree and Radeon

Post by JA Spruil » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 08:37:51

I also cannot get my Radeon 32Meg DDR to work.  I've tried tech support,
but they only suggested trying XFree86 v4.1.0, which I have already
attempted.  Has anyone been able to successfully run XFree86 -configure
with a similar setup?

I'm currently using my old NVidia Velocity128 card until there is a fix.

Specs:
Epox 8K7A mobo (AMD 761 chipset)
AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz (o.c. 1.5 GHz)
LM 8.0 OS

> (sorry if this message has been posted twice)

> Has anybody ever been able to use XFree (even with the latest XFree 4.1)
> with this configuration? (motherboard Asus A7M266 with AMD 761 chipset)

> The system always hangs after starting X.

> Thanks.
> (N.B. ATI Radeon SD-Ram TV-OUT)

> Quelqu'un est-il dj parvenu utiliser XFree avec une ATI Radeon SDR
> (carte-mre Asus A7M266 avec chipset AMD 761)?

> L'ordinateur se plante systmatiquement aprs le dmarrage de X.

> Merci de votre aide.

Xfree and Radeon

Post by Mathieu Seigneuri » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:34:11

Maybe you could check out this article on LinuxHardware.org:
http://www.linuxhardware.org/features/01/08/24/1338233.shtml

It talks about a kernel patch to get AGP working properly on motherboards
with the AMD 761 or VIA KT266 chipsets.

(I don't have such a motherboard or video card, so I have no idea if it's
relevant or not...)

Mathieu

> I also cannot get my Radeon 32Meg DDR to work.  I've tried tech support,
> but they only suggested trying XFree86 v4.1.0, which I have already
> attempted.  Has anyone been able to successfully run XFree86 -configure
> with a similar setup?

> I'm currently using my old NVidia Velocity128 card until there is a fix.

> Specs:
> Epox 8K7A mobo (AMD 761 chipset)
> AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz (o.c. 1.5 GHz)
> LM 8.0 OS

>> (sorry if this message has been posted twice)

>> Has anybody ever been able to use XFree (even with the latest XFree 4.1)
>> with this configuration? (motherboard Asus A7M266 with AMD 761 chipset)

>> The system always hangs after starting X.

>> Thanks.
>> (N.B. ATI Radeon SD-Ram TV-OUT)

>> Quelqu'un est-il dj parvenu utiliser XFree avec une ATI Radeon SDR
>> (carte-mre Asus A7M266 avec chipset AMD 761)?

>> L'ordinateur se plante systmatiquement aprs le dmarrage de X.

>> Merci de votre aide.

1. Radeon Radeon Radeon

Hi there,
I have just the same prob.
I have the 64MB version and used
the rpms from suse to upgrade to xfree 402.
I thought this would be cool.
Now I know, I am not a linux expert.
The result is, no sax, sax2 supported.
I tried to set the xf86config, the way described in
the readme and so on
.............. ?

I think I will start to kill myself.

Can anyone help ?

Holger

2. NCD HMX BootMonitor updates

3. How to inhibit DDC in radeon driver for Xfree-4.2?

4. need help to analyse tcpdump output

5. XFree 4.0.2 & ATi Radeon??

6. FS: External Quantum DLT 7000 Drive $2000 obo

7. Radeon 8500 TV-out works fine... but not with Xfree

8. Radeon 9700 Pro dualhead support in xfree 4.3.0

9. XFree 4.3.0 Radeon 7500 driver not working

10. Radeon finally works with XFree 4.2.0, but...

11. ATI Radeon 7500 M7 on Xfree 4.2.0

12. ATI Radeon 7500 M7 Mobility on XFree 4.2.0