Matrox CARD!!

Post by ta » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

        Hello all.

I have just joined this group and have had linux for about 2 months on my
machine.  I have just also upgraded my graphics card to matrox mill  and it will not run X
        i know there is a problem with this and that X will not support the matrox card
but what i would like to know is specifically where can i get hold of a x-windows setup
that will support it, and what files do i need?? how do i go about installing them on my existing
setting it up??   I am rather new to linux hence the questions are prob simple to most of
you out there but not the case for me.
        i dont really wantto pay for any more bits at the moment so any software on the net thats free
i would appreciate.

        Thanks

Matrox CARD!!

Post by Ray Auchterlouni » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>machine.  I have just also upgraded my graphics card to matrox mill
>and it will not run X i know there is a problem with this and that X
>will not support the matrox card but what i would like to know is

The _XFree86_ X server does not (and cannot for reasons of Matrox
policy explained in the FAQ) support Matrox cards. There is nothing in
_X_ which prevents Matrox support - in fact other X servers support it.

Quote:>specifically where can i get hold of a x-windows setup that will
>support it, and what files do i need?? how do i go about installing

Try the Hardware-Compatibility-HOWTO posted regularly on
comp.os.linux.answers (also archived on sunsite). It has at least some
pointers to vendors which do support Matrox. Installation will be
vendor specific.

Quote:>them on my existing setting it up??  I am rather new to linux hence
>the questions are prob simple to most of you out there but not the
>case for me.  i dont really wantto pay for any more bits at the

What ? You just "upgraded" to a card you say you knew wasn't supported
by free software and now you want solutions which don't involve $$$ ?

The only way to get your X working without paying more is to take the
Matrox back and get something XFree86 supports.

Quote:>moment so any software on the net thats free i would appreciate.

There are gigabytes of free software on the net. None of it will
support Matrox video cards because Matrox won't allow that. But since
you said you'd appreciate it anyway... Where would you like it all sent ?

ray

--
Ray Auchterlounie                Research Student (still) at:

                "Don't ask me about my thesis (TM)"

Matrox CARD!!

Post by Alex » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>    Hello all.

>I have just joined this group and have had linux for about 2 months on my
>machine.  I have just also upgraded my graphics card to matrox mill  and it will not run X
>    i know there is a problem with this and that X will not support the matrox card
>but what i would like to know is specifically where can i get hold of a x-windows setup
>that will support it, and what files do i need?? how do i go about installing them on my existing
>setting it up??   I am rather new to linux hence the questions are prob simple to most of
>you out there but not the case for me.
>    i dont really wantto pay for any more bits at the moment so any software on the net thats free
>i would appreciate.

You'll need to buy one of the commercial X servers such as Accelerated X or Metro X.  Both of those support the Matrox.  I have a matrox card at home at it works great in linux :)

--
----------------------------------
Alex M.

web:   http://www.feist.com/~alexm
----------------------------------

1. XFree86 and an old Matrox Card

I'm trying to get XFree86 configured for my MGA-PCI/2 (vintage 1994).
It shows up in Win95 as a "Matrox MGA Ultima/Impression PCI".
Xconfigurator (running in RH5.0) can't find the VRAM on the card and so
defaults to 64k -- resulting in a rather unusable screen.

Has anyone had any success running XFree86 with this Matrox card?  Or do

I need to buy a commercial X server?  The MetroX web page said that
their version 3.x supports the older Matrox cards, but not version 4.x.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,
Mark Peacock

2. A joke I heard.

3. trouble finding the right modeline for matrox card/compudyne monitor

4. radiusd error

5. Matrox card

6. DSP Device

7. Can't get XFree v.3.2 to work w/ my Matrox Card

8. who makes the best Linux? Microsoft?

9. Matrox cards

10. PROBLEM: frame-buffer doesn't work on HP Vectra with Matrox cards

11. Matrox card and X

12. What is a Matrox card - In a IBM RT 125

13. Can't get XFree v.3.2 to work w/ my Matrox Card