XF86Config works as root but not as user: Please help!

XF86Config works as root but not as user: Please help!

Post by Jun Kelle » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:21:56

Hi!

I have successfully installed SuSE8.1 on my ThinkPad. To adjust the speed of
the internal mouse I added Option "Resolution" "3000" to the section of the
internal mouse. As root the internal mouse works with desired speed, but as
normal user it works with standard.

Also I cannot setup two mouses with SAX2, it generates stupid characters in
the Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" line.

Here are the last few lines of the log files:

As root:

(**) Option "Resolution" "3000"
(**) Mouse[0]: Resolution: 3000
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse[0]" (type: MOUSE)
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
(II) 3rd Button detected: disabling emulate3Button

As user:

(**) Option "Resolution" "3000"
(**) Mouse[0]: Resolution: 3000
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse[0]" (type: MOUSE)
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xd1111000 at 0x40a19000

Why do I have 2 more "RADEON" lines as user????

- Jun

Post by Jun Kelle » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:23:41

Hi!

I have successfully installed SuSE8.1 on my ThinkPad. To adjust the speed of
the internal mouse I added Option "Resolution" "3000" to the section of the
internal mouse. As root the internal mouse works with desired speed, but as
normal user it works with standard speed.

Post by Nils Petter Vaskin » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:02:41

> Hi!

> I have successfully installed SuSE8.1 on my ThinkPad. To adjust the
speed of
> the internal mouse I added Option "Resolution" "3000" to the section
of the
> internal mouse. As root the internal mouse works with desired speed,
but as
> normal user it works with standard speed.

> Also I cannot setup two mouses with SAX2, it generates stupid
characters in
> the Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" line.

> Here are the last few lines of the log files:

[snip]

> Why do I have 2 more "RADEON" lines as user????

No idea, but it shouldn't affect your mouse.

Is there any kind of program that is run as the user but not as root
that could modify the mouse speed? Try to start up with twm and see
if the mouse still doesn't use the setting in XF86Config

NP

XF86Config works as root but not as user: Please help!

Post by Jun Kelle » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 06:38:07

Quote:> Is there any kind of program that is run as the user but not as root
> that could modify the mouse speed? Try to start up with twm and see
> if the mouse still doesn't use the setting in XF86Config

Its only in KDE, and there are 3 different speeds:

1.) Standard speed: When grafical login promt comes
2.) Fas speed: When KDE3 starts as root
3.) Slow speed: When KDE3 starts as normal User

The speed changes always during KDE3 startup when it says something like
"connected Devices initializing" and Mouse-symbol is hi-lighted.

You can see my configuration here:
http://www.jpk.at/siga.html

Thanks for any help, Jun

Post by Nils Petter Vaskin » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:10:05

>> Is there any kind of program that is run as the user but not as
root
>> that could modify the mouse speed? Try to start up with twm and see
>> if the mouse still doesn't use the setting in XF86Config

> Its only in KDE, and there are 3 different speeds:

> 1.) Standard speed: When grafical login promt comes
> 2.) Fas speed: When KDE3 starts as root
> 3.) Slow speed: When KDE3 starts as normal User

> The speed changes always during KDE3 startup when it says something
like
> "connected Devices initializing" and Mouse-symbol is hi-lighted.

> You can see my configuration here:
> http://www.jpk.at/siga.html

> Thanks for any help, Jun

Ok then it appears that KDE3 changes the mouse speed for the normal
user but not for root, compare /root/.kde to ~user/.kde There
probably is a mouse setting in there somwhere or as the user go to
the kde control center and change the mouse speed. The resulting
config file (probaly in .kde) kan then be copied to /etc/skel to be
the default for newly created users

NP

XF86Config works as root but not as user: Please help!

Post by Jun Kelle » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 03:47:34

Quote:> Ok then it appears that KDE3 changes the mouse speed for the normal
> user but not for root, compare /root/.kde to ~user/.kde There
> probably is a mouse setting in there somwhere or as the user go to
> the kde control center and change the mouse speed. The resulting
> config file (probaly in .kde) kan then be copied to /etc/skel to be
> the default for newly created users

Thanks! It helped me, and I found out, that the setting is not adjusting the
speed, it is again the settung for acceleration. But I can live with that...
Anyway, if you know how to set the speed, please let me know!

- Jun

1. Please Help: XF86Config works as root but not as user!

Hi!

I have successfully installed SuSE8.1 on my ThinkPad, I have added an
external USB-mouse to my XF86Config, so both mouses work now. To adjust the
speed of the internal mouse I added Option "Resolution" "3000" to the
section of the internal mouse. As root the internal mouse works with desired
speed, but as normal user it works with standard speed (external mouse works
fine).

Also I cannot setup two mouses with SAX2, it generates stupid characters in
the Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" line.

Here are the last few lines of the log files:

As user:

(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Mouse[0]: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse[0]: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(**) Mouse[0]: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(==) Mouse[0]: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "Resolution" "3000"
(**) Mouse[0]: Resolution: 3000
(**) Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
(**) Mouse[1]: Protocol: "imps/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
(**) Mouse[1]: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Mouse[1]: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Mouse[1]: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Mouse[1]: Buttons: 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse[1]" (type: MOUSE)
[...]

2. No DMA support on WDC AC36400L

3. Help Please: ~user directory for Apache not working.

4. pppd with radius

5. Sendmail help - alias works for install-created users, does not for new users.

6. How to find out CVS modules

7. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

8. dial in/out same port

9. Newbe, How do i log in as a USER and not ROOT...please

10. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

11. System sounds work for root, not for user

12. How do I get PPP to work for a user, not just root?