X, DRI, Xinerama, and other linux goodies

X, DRI, Xinerama, and other linux goodies

Post by Jason Kna » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 04:57:50

Hey all... got a little question..

I have  RedHat 7.1, upgraded to XFree86 v4.1.0 ... fine... had a little
font trouble at first, but I corrected it... anyway... my question is
this...

I have a TNTGeForceMX on my AGP slot... yes its working fine ...
I have a Voodoo3 2000 in one of my PCI slots... yes it is working.....

I have scripts that will either startx in Xinerama mode (without DRI
because the nVidia card has no DRI support) or in a real dual-head
mode... In this mode the nVidia still has no DRI, but the 3dfx card
does... great... Overall I am VERY impressed with all the capabilities of
the new X server... anyway back to the question...

If I buy an old Voodoo4 or something with DRI support and plug it into
the AGP slot, will DRI work even in Xinerama mode ?

X, DRI, Xinerama, and other linux goodies

Post by Joe Henle » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:41:11

Jason,

Could you please explain the upgrade process to X4.1 from X4.0.3 (RH7.1)?  I
have RH7.1 and wish to upgrade X but haven't seen any good descriptions of
"how to" yet.

Thanks!

Joe Henley

> Hey all... got a little question..

> I have  RedHat 7.1, upgraded to XFree86 v4.1.0 ... fine... had a little
> font trouble at first, but I corrected it... anyway... my question is
> this...

> I have a TNTGeForceMX on my AGP slot... yes its working fine ...
> I have a Voodoo3 2000 in one of my PCI slots... yes it is working.....

> I have scripts that will either startx in Xinerama mode (without DRI
> because the nVidia card has no DRI support) or in a real dual-head
> mode... In this mode the nVidia still has no DRI, but the 3dfx card
> does... great... Overall I am VERY impressed with all the capabilities of
> the new X server... anyway back to the question...

> If I buy an old Voodoo4 or something with DRI support and plug it into
> the AGP slot, will DRI work even in Xinerama mode ?

X, DRI, Xinerama, and other linux goodies

Post by Jason Kna » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:44:28

well... download the binaries from Xfree86.org.... of course, you must
download the correct binaries, and enjoy... (after you reconfigure
everything !)

> Jason,
> Could you please explain the upgrade process to X4.1 from X4.0.3
> (RH7.1)?  I have RH7.1 and wish to upgrade X but haven't seen any good
> descriptions of "how to" yet.
> Thanks!
> Joe Henley

>> Hey all... got a little question..

>> I have  RedHat 7.1, upgraded to XFree86 v4.1.0 ... fine... had a little
>> font trouble at first, but I corrected it... anyway... my question is
>> this...

>> I have a TNTGeForceMX on my AGP slot... yes its working fine ... I have
>> a Voodoo3 2000 in one of my PCI slots... yes it is working.....

>> I have scripts that will either startx in Xinerama mode (without DRI
>> because the nVidia card has no DRI support) or in a real dual-head
>> mode... In this mode the nVidia still has no DRI, but the 3dfx card
>> does... great... Overall I am VERY impressed with all the capabilities
>> of the new X server... anyway back to the question...

>> If I buy an old Voodoo4 or something with DRI support and plug it into
>> the AGP slot, will DRI work even in Xinerama mode ?

1. Xinerama on 4 displays, 5th display not xinerama - possible?

Hello,

I have a SunBlade 2000 and have populated both UPA slots with an XVR-1000(2
heads on each).  I then have this connected to a 2x2 FPD, this works great
via:

/dev/fbs/gfb0 -dev /dev/fbs/gfb1 bottom

I'd like to now plug in a PCI card(Expert-3D or PGX64) as a fifth head
display
output. I'd like this display to be the same as the other 1, or virtual
one(made up of 4
video streams)
But I'd like this display to be different than the four XVR-1000
outputs running Xinerama.  Is this even possible? I think so, just don't
know the flags to send Xsun

Attempting a visual representation. Each X is a display. Xinerama is running
on the 2x2.

XX

XX --> X

Thanks

Joel

joel at themis dot com

2. X Screen Grabber

3. Compilation problem with radeon dri drivers from dri.sf.net

4. Is it possible to have several soundcards?

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Mouseman 96 psmouse

7. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

8. solstice backup

9. CGI & other goodies for Linux Web Servers

10. goodies for all of linux guys

11. Is this possible? (Linux network goodies box)

12. Themes.org -- Linux/X goodies...