XF3.1.2 + kernel 1.3.16 = crash!

XF3.1.2 + kernel 1.3.16 = crash!

Post by Alberto Tomita J » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00



I'm running XFree86-3.1.2 on a Pentium 90, 16 Mb RAM, and upgraded the kernel
to 1.3.16. Compiled a new kernel with gcc 2.7.0 + ELF libraries and got:


Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: Partition check:
Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel:   hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 > hda3 hda4
Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: Adding Swap: 32252k swap-space
Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: Max size:264439   Log zone size:2048
Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: First datazone:48   Root inode number 98304
Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: ISO9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Oops: 0000
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: EIP:    0010:0014578f
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: EFLAGS: 00013202
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: eax: 00000000   ebx: 00000ffc   ecx: 00000000   edx: 081c7004
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: esi: 00000000   edi: 00000800   ebp: 00849854   esp: 0094ff1c
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   ss: 0018
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Process X (pid: 87, process nr: 22, stackpage=0094f000)
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Stack: 00849854 008497e0 00849854 081c7004 081c7004 00000ffc
00000000 00000000
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel:        00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 001457f0 00849854
081c7004 00000ffc
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel:        00000800 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000ffc 00130a40
00849854 081c7004
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Call Trace: 001457f0 00130a40 0011d68c 0010a339
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Code: 64 8b 01 89 44 24 1c c7 44 24 28 00 00 00 00 8d 54 24 1
0 89
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Oops: 0000
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: EIP:    0010:0014578f
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: EFLAGS: 00010202
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: eax: 00000000   ebx: 00000008   ecx: 00000000   edx: bffffa3c



Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: esi: 00000000   edi: 00000800   ebp: 00d70694   esp: 0090ef1c
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   ss: 0018
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Process xdm (pid: 88, process nr: 27, stackpage=0090e000)
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Stack: 00d70694 00d70620 00d70694 bffffa3c bffffa3c 00000008
00000000 0090b2b8
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel:        0002a000 00117bc9 00944718 400ae000 001457f0 00d70694
bffffa3c 00000008
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel:        00000800 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000008 00130a40
00d70694 bffffa3c
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Call Trace: 00117bc9 001457f0 00130a40 0011d68c 0010a339
Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Code: 64 8b 01 89 44 24 1c c7 44 24 28 00 00 00 00 8d 54 24 1
0 89

Then the system crashed. The screen was full of green strips and both the key-
board and mouse were locked. I was able, however, to rlogin and downgrade the
kernel back to 1.3.15.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Alberto Tomita Junior     URL=http://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alberto

 YOKOHAMA NATIONAL UNIVERSITY             tel: +81-45-335-1451  ext. 2906
 Div. of Electrical & Computer Eng.       fax: +81-45-338-1157          
 156 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku                
 Yokohama 240 JAPAN                      home: +81-45-743-3680 (tel & fax)


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

XF3.1.2 + kernel 1.3.16 = crash!

Post by Dirk H. Hohnd » Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:00:00



: I'm running XFree86-3.1.2 on a Pentium 90, 16 Mb RAM, and upgraded the kernel
: to 1.3.16. Compiled a new kernel with gcc 2.7.0 + ELF libraries and got:

: Then the system crashed. The screen was full of green strips and both the key-
: board and mouse were locked. I was able, however, to rlogin and downgrade the
: kernel back to 1.3.15.

This is a known problem with 1.3.16, it is fixed in 1.3.17

        Dirk

 
 
 

XF3.1.2 + kernel 1.3.16 = crash!

Post by Jan Hubick » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00


=DB=DC=ED=FB{=AD=ED=FD=AD


>=20
> I'm running XFree86-3.1.2 on a Pentium 90, 16 Mb RAM, and upgraded the ke=
rnel
> to 1.3.16. Compiled a new kernel with gcc 2.7.0 + ELF libraries and got:

it is kernel bug..ger 1.3.18
>=20


n 2.7.0) #1 Thu Aug 10 13:07:30 JST 1995
> Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: Partition check:
> Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel:   hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 > hda3 hda4
> Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly=
.
> Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: Adding Swap: 32252k swap-space
> Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: Max size:264439   Log zone size:2048
> Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: First datazone:48   Root inode number 98304
> Aug 10 13:26:10 wine kernel: ISO9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Oops: 0000
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: EIP:    0010:0014578f
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: EFLAGS: 00013202
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: eax: 00000000   ebx: 00000ffc   ecx: 0000000=
0   edx: 081c7004
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: esi: 00000000   edi: 00000800   ebp: 0084985=
4   esp: 0094ff1c
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   =
ss: 0018
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Process X (pid: 87, process nr: 22, stackpag=
e=3D0094f000)
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Stack: 00849854 008497e0 00849854 081c7004 0=
81c7004 00000ffc
> 00000000 00000000
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel:        00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0=
01457f0 00849854
> 081c7004 00000ffc
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel:        00000800 00000000 00000000 00000000 0=
0000ffc 00130a40
> 00849854 081c7004
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Call Trace: 001457f0 00130a40 0011d68c 0010a=
339
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Code: 64 8b 01 89 44 24 1c c7 44 24 28 00 00=
 00 00 8d 54 24 1
> 0 89
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Oops: 0000
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: EIP:    0010:0014578f
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: EFLAGS: 00010202
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: eax: 00000000   ebx: 00000008   ecx: 0000000=
0   edx: bffffa3c


ay 28 15:59:49 JST 1994

- Show quoted text -


+lx/i486-1.1.15
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine sendmail[66]: starting daemon (8.6.9+2.4Wb3): SMTP+q=

> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: esi: 00000000   edi: 00000800   ebp: 00d7069=
4   esp: 0090ef1c
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   =
ss: 0018
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Process xdm (pid: 88, process nr: 27, stackp=
age=3D0090e000)
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Stack: 00d70694 00d70620 00d70694 bffffa3c b=
ffffa3c 00000008
> 00000000 0090b2b8
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel:        0002a000 00117bc9 00944718 400ae000 0=
01457f0 00d70694
> bffffa3c 00000008
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel:        00000800 00000000 00000000 00000000 0=
0000008 00130a40
> 00d70694 bffffa3c
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Call Trace: 00117bc9 001457f0 00130a40 0011d=
68c 0010a339
> Aug 10 13:26:26 wine kernel: Code: 64 8b 01 89 44 24 1c c7 44 24 28 00 00=
 00 00 8d 54 24 1
> 0 89
>=20
> Then the system crashed. The screen was full of green strips and both the=
 key-
> board and mouse were locked. I was able, however, to rlogin and downgrade=
 the
> kernel back to 1.3.15.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----
>  Alberto Tomita Junior     URL=3Dhttp://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alber=
to
>=20
>  YOKOHAMA NATIONAL UNIVERSITY             tel: +81-45-335-1451  ext. 2906
>  Div. of Electrical & Computer Eng.       fax: +81-45-338-1157
>  156 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku
>  Yokohama 240 JAPAN                      home: +81-45-743-3680 (tel & fax=
)
>=20

7
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----
>=20
>=20

 
 
 

1. make won't make since 1.3.16

Hello,

I have upgraded my kernel from 1.2.16 to 2.0.16.
I tried to rebuild the kernel, but make returns with error-message
in the sence of:

        ***** not arguments to build and no makefile found

So I thougt I'd be smart by entering:

        make -f Makefile dep

but this doesn't work, since make recurses trough the source tree
and crashes on the next makefile it processes.

then I booted 1.2.16 again, build a 1.3.16 release and booted it.
Trying to build the 2.0.16 from here gave the same problem.

What can be the problem here ?

thanx

2. Mail......What does this mean??

3. tcp-ip problem 1.3.16 - 1.3.20

4. xterm with vt52 emulation

5. Cfengine 1.3.16

6. rlogin - what does litout mode mean?

7. 1.3.16 error -- could not

8. Expect

9. Bug in 1.3.16 unix domain sockets?

10. 1.3.16 error -- could not find termcap

11. 1.3.16?

12. XF3.1.2 & Cirrus Logic 16 bpp modes

13. XF3.1.2 and Newer Kernels - X dies when upon xinit.