Touch Screen Support other than Metro-X

Post by Jon Willia » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

I've seen touchscreens (ELO, Microtouch) work with metro-x
but the performance isn't great. I'm wondering if anyone's had
any sucess with touch screens using other X-Servers?

jw

Touch Screen Support other than Metro-X

Post by Jon Willia » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I thought it was part of the X spec now to support touch screens?
My performance problems are with gnome & the fancy themes,
using large fonts. Also the lack of fonts.
gtx is supposed to be the fast one right? but i don't think it's
supporting touch.
I need to do a java serial driver for microtouch or elo, so if you
have any more specifics on the hook up through XFree86
i'd be much obliged.
How is XFree86 vs Metro-X these days?

thanks
jw

On 31 May 1999 06:08:22 +0200, Frederic Lepied

Post by Frederic Lepie » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Ok, I thought it was part of the X spec now to support touch screens?

Touchscreeens are used in XFree86 through the XInput extension of
the X server.

Quote:> My performance problems are with gnome & the fancy themes,
> using large fonts. Also the lack of fonts.
> gtx is supposed to be the fast one right? but i don't think it's
> supporting touch.
> I need to do a java serial driver for microtouch or elo, so if you
> have any more specifics on the hook up through XFree86

I don't understand  what you want to  do but if you want  to code your
own  access to  a touchscreen  in java,  you can  take a  look  at the
sources of  XFree86 in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Elo.c
and xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86MuTouch.c.

--
Fred - May the source be with you