How to include a new application in X menu

How to include a new application in X menu

Post by Fernando Piaz » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

How can I include a new application (like Netscape) in the applications menu
of X?

Thanks

Post by Graham Tod » Mon, 04 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> How can I include a new application (like Netscape) in the applications menu
> of X?

> Thanks

You mean the root window pop-up menu - probably.

It depends on your window manager.  If you're using fvwm look in
~/.fvwmrc (~/ means your home directory).  If there isn't one there
you'll probably be able to copy the file from either

/usr/lib/lib/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc

to your home directory.  Do this:

cd
cp /usr/lib/lib/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc ./.fvwmrc

Now just edit the section of the file that creates the entries for your applications.
follow the same format. You should  check the manual page for your window manager
too.  You'll need to restart fvwm for the changes to take place.

man fvwm

The Installation and Getting Started Guide (a book that comes on practically every
CD-ROM version of Linux) explains how to configure X window managers. Recommended.

Good luck

Post by Ian Camer » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>How can I include a new application (like Netscape) in the applications menu
>of X?

Depends on the window manager you're using...

For fvwm, add this:

Exec    "Netscape"      exec netscape &

to your ~/.fvwmrc of system.fvwmrc file.

---

Cheers, Ian.

1. KDE loses New>Application menu and settings

I upgraded from 7.02 to 7.1 to get the benefit of the improvents in
KDE in the new version.  At first everything looked great and I had my
desktop configured exactly as I wanted it.  Then I tried some other
window managers: WindowMaker, Blackbox, and finally Gnome.  When I
went back to KDE all my settings were gone and defaulted back to the
original stock settings.  I even lost a link to an app that I put in
/usr/share/applnk/Applications.  What is more annoying, now when I
right-click on the desktop to create a new application link, the only
option I have is to create a new folder.  All the other options have
disappeared.
I have been looking at just about every possible file under .kde and
can find nothing to give me a clue.  I also can't figure out how/why
all of my settings would have been lost.

2. fcntl() problem? (sorry if reposted)

3. New way to do QOS and limit bandwidth with Linux, new site , new software Howto Included

4. gcc -O2 bug

5. Ins key in ncurses applications?

6. KDEbase -lXt problem

7. Compiling new xterm with new libraries/include files

8. Bad read performance on busy server [command hangs] ...

9. New items in the "Create new" menu

10. New HOWTO....HOWTO-Hose-RedHat-Installation (help!)

11. SSI includes including relative includes?

12. How to include apps in Start Menu?

13. Including Gnome2 popup menu in App....