V5500 which X server and Kernel for best performance

V5500 which X server and Kernel for best performance

Post by Ali » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:15:07

I`m just back to linux and remember with my last set up that I had got
better performance with XFree 3.3.6. At the time I was using a V3-2000 PCI.
My new system is An AMD Duron800 and Abit KT7a with V5500 agp card. Now the
question is the last time I had to recompile a 2.4 kernel to enable DRI and
thus get acceleration in Q3 etc, so have things improved with the 3dfx ( I
know they sold out), which combination is best and how good is the 3D
performance in games such as Q3.

Currently got Mandrake 7.2 and XFree 4.01 installed, I think the kernel is
2.2.17. Now gears seems to be rocking along but TUXracer is like stuck in
mud, thus I don`t think Hardware acceleration is working properly. Anyone
got similar spec and what order of components installed.

Cheers

Ali

1. **Performance Engineer** - Red Herring's Best Company with the Best Product for 1998

**Performance Engineer**

The performance engineer will be a key contributor to the Engineering
team focusing on the performance and scalability of the Vignette
products. Responsibilities include analyzing StoryServer system
performance to identify bottlenecks and optimum  configurations on all
platforms, recommending optimum system configurations for customers
based on performance analysis, extending the performance regression
test suite used to identify changes in performance levels with new
development, developing performance tools that customers can run on
site to identify potential performance issues, and working closely
with developers during the development process to identify potential
performance issues early in the development cycle.

Requirements:
7 or more years of application development experience using C or C++
on UNIX or Windows/NT, experience with analysis tools including
Purify, Quantify, Pure Coverage and Pure Performix. Must have one or
more of the following:

3+ years of database administration or application development
experience (Oracle, Sybase, Informix, MS SQL Server); 1+ years of web
server development experience (Netscape NSAPI, Apache, MI); experience
with analyzing performance of networks, databases, or operating
systems; experience with scripting languages (TCL experience highly
desirable); and strong analytical skills. Must be able to design and
precisely control performance test environments. Strong interpersonal
and communication skills necessary.

About Vignette Corporation

Vignette Corporation, a key player in the emerging category of
Internet Relationship Management provides enterprise solutions for
companies that are building successful business' online. Vignette's
products and services, which include industry-leading StoryServer4,
allow businesses to use the Web as a new channel for customer
acquisition and retention.  More than 80 premier companies, including
National  Semiconductor, First Chicago NBD, Bay Networks, Ziff-Davis'
ZDNet and CNET, use StoryServer to serve a combined 30 million page
views per day. Vignette has received numerous industry awards,
including The Red Herring's "Best Private Company" and "Best Product"
in the August 17th edition. The company partners with 20 leading
vendors in ad management, electronic commerce and personalization to
provide comprehensive solutions for its customers. Headquartered in
Austin, Texas, Vignette Corporation is on the World Wide Web at
http://www.vignette.com.

If you meet these requirements, please send your resume to

file.  Please insert the job title in your subject line.

2. wrong uptime output?

3. Samba vs NT, which gives best PCs / Server Performance?

4. Using CD-RW for backup, best plan?

5. Best Oracle performance on two-disk Sun server?

6. No dice -- yet everything's fine?!

7. Best price/performance 2.x kernel dist. on CD?

8. kuser failure

9. Help in tuning kernel for best performance

10. Best way to determine web server performance?

11. Best kernel version for high performance GigE benchmarking

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. Best server? Was: What is the best newsreader?