Nice Windows manager

Post by Chetan Ahuj » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
  I am using AfterStep right now and its pretty nice. Accept that I
would like to find a windows manager which can do the follwing:

1)  Allow me to place files or links on the desktop. Which sort of gives
a feeling that :
2) The file manager is integrated in the windows manager ( somewhat like
the IRIX desktops..
3) allows full drag and drop file management. Also allows
me to double click on any of the links or files on the desktop and
fires up the relevant application by reading the magic no. of the
files.

   So does one such exist.It will be better if its freeware. ( of
course).

  Chetan Ahuja

Nice Windows manager

Post by Daniel Robert Frankl » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,
>  I am using AfterStep right now and its pretty nice. Accept that I
>would like to find a windows manager which can do the follwing:
>1)  Allow me to place files or links on the desktop. Which sort of gives
>a feeling that :
>2) The file manager is integrated in the windows manager ( somewhat like
>the IRIX desktops..
>3) allows full drag and drop file management. Also allows
>me to double click on any of the links or files on the desktop and
>fires up the relevant application by reading the magic no. of the
>files.

I think most of this is planned in the KDE (K Desktop Environment) which
is similar in concept to the CDE, commercially avaliable for Linux (quite
nice IMO). Apparrently the first complete public release will be made at
the the end of this month. It uses Qt, so a decision to use KDE will
depend on your political position on 'free' software :-) (Qt is free for
Linux but not GPL, and not free for other OSs)

FVWM-95 also has work in progress on a Win-95 style file management
system, which looks nice but is not yet complete. What they have done to
date looks promising.

Also, the Hungry Programmers are now laying the groundwork for Lesstif to
include CDE and Motif 2.0 stuff, so that may in the future another option.

- Daniel
--

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Nice Windows manager

Post by Bill Thompso » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >Hi,
> >  I am using AfterStep right now and its pretty nice. Accept that I
> >would like to find a windows manager which can do the follwing:

> >1)  Allow me to place files or links on the desktop. Which sort of gives
> >a feeling that :
> >2) The file manager is integrated in the windows manager ( somewhat like
> >the IRIX desktops..
> >3) allows full drag and drop file management. Also allows
> >me to double click on any of the links or files on the desktop and
> >fires up the relevant application by reading the magic no. of the
> >files.

> I think most of this is planned in the KDE (K Desktop Environment) which
> is similar in concept to the CDE, commercially avaliable for Linux (quite
> nice IMO). Apparrently the first complete public release will be made at
> the the end of this month. It uses Qt, so a decision to use KDE will
> depend on your political position on 'free' software :-) (Qt is free for
> Linux but not GPL, and not free for other OSs)

> FVWM-95 also has work in progress on a Win-95 style file management
> system, which looks nice but is not yet complete. What they have done to
> date looks promising.

> Also, the Hungry Programmers are now laying the groundwork for Lesstif to
> include CDE and Motif 2.0 stuff, so that may in the future another option.

> - Daniel
> --

> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Byju,

So far my experience with lesstif has been positive. Am looking forward
to it including Motif 2.0 libraries. Will bring with me if it is
available.

Regards,

Bill
--
     _    ___    _  _ _  _  _
    / )  (  _)/\/ )/ / )| |/ )  Bill Thompson

Nice Windows manager

Post by James Cri » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>1)  Allow me to place files or links on the desktop.  [...]
>2) The file manager is integrated in the windows manager

Not necessarily...

Quote:>3) allows full drag and drop file management. Also allows
>me to double click on any of the links or files on the desktop and
>fires up the relevant application by reading the magic no. of the
>files.

TkDesk does all the things you described.
It is pretty good, although still in beta.

    http://sun1.rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de/~zzhibol/tkdesk

It works with any window manager, although some of its features (notably
the application bar) overlap with the features of some window managers.

From the home page:

  Following is a brief overview of the most prominent features of TkDesk:

  *  Arbitrary number of automatically refreshed file browsers and file list
     windows,
  *  Configurable file-specific popup-menus,
  *  Drag and drop,
  *  Files and directories may be dropped onto the root window a.k.a.
     desktop
  *  Configurable application bar, with several displays (currently date,
     load, and mail) and cascaded popup menus for each button,
  *  History of visited directories, opened files, executed commands, and
     others, which is automatically saved to disk,
  *  Find files through their annotation, name, contents, size or age,
  *  Trash can for safe deletion of files and directories,
  *  Calculation of disk usage for directory hierarchies,
  *  All file operations (find, copy, disk usage, etc.) are carried out in the
     background,
  *  Traversal of directory hierarchies through recursive cascaded menus,
  *  Bookmarks, create menu entries for often used files/directories,
  *  Built-in multi-buffer and UNDO-capable editor,
  *  Comprehensive hypertextish online help, the complete TkDesk User's
     Guide is available online (TkDesk also comes with a PostScript version
     of this guide),
  *  Close coupling with Netscape and XEmacs,
  *  Sound support,
  *  Powerful configuration of nearly all aspect of TkDesk through Tcl/Tk,
     this also allows the Tcl-literate to extend TkDesk in arbitrary ways,
  *  As TkDesk is distributed under the terms of the Gnu General Public
     License, it is free of charge!

--

Nice Windows manager

Post by Jari Soderhol » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >1)  Allow me to place files or links on the desktop.  [...]
> >2) The file manager is integrated in the windows manager
> >3) allows full drag and drop file management. Also allows
> >me to double click on any of the links or files on the desktop and
> >fires up the relevant application by reading the magic no. of the
> >files.

Check out these links

ftp://mitac11.uia.ac.be/html-test/fvwm95.html

ftp://mitac11.uia.ac.be/html-test/xclass.html

Specially the later one has really nice toolkit which
looks exactly like windows 95 and will have standard applications
like explorer

Jari

1. Nice. Nice nice nice.

So I'd heard about this Linux thing - let's face it, you can't spend
any more than a year online and NOT hear about it unless you're under
some cybernetic rock - and always felt I ought to give it a try at
some point. Picked up the friendly yellow 'For Dummies' book which
came with three CDs of RH7.0. Lots of nice hand-holding throughout the
install process (which got me safely through a major glitch when the X
installer, starting up reasonably enough in a no-risk 640x480, got the
screen geometry totally wrong and was illegible, and pointed me in the
right direction for LOADLIN when lilo couldn't cope with Linux being
at the back end of a big drive) and I soon got into the OS. Got it
online, no worries. Well, this is nice, I said to myself, but
eventually I largely forgot about the system lurking at the other end
of my drive and returned through force of habit to Windows95.

But not willing to just plain give up (there's a principle involved,
dammit!) I sent off for the RH7.2 CDs when it came out. Fifteen quid.
Well, bugger me sideways... this new KDE is seriously slick, it just
*feels* faster, smoother, the lot. I'd imagine a lot of the discussion
of new distributions on here centres on technical aspects of kernels
and so forth, but speaking as a Windows refugee fleeing the imminent
prospect of XP's Big Brother pirate protection, it's looking like
Linux can become a happy home.

So much so, in fact, that I'm planning on getting myself a new
computer in a year or so, and having whatever the latest RH Linux is
as the main OS. Bill's not seeing another penny if I can help it...
(he says, posting with a Hotmail address in a slightly embarrassed
tone)

Odds are a fair number of people reading had some input into this nice
new OS I'm using now, so I just have to say, thanks guys.

2. CTX Laptops

3. how do you open other window managers in a window manager

4. FreeBSD Newsletter tools

5. FreeBSD boot manager and Windows NT disk manager

6. Sybex gets it "slightly" wrong in France

7. Windows NT server manager, user manager and iptables

8. cd rom recognition

9. ctwm window manager Icon manager?

10. Desktop manager or Window manager ?

11. switch Window manager and desktop manager?

12. File managers, any nice ones recommended?

13. SUMMARY: To "nice" or not to "nice" [LONG]