X font server crash with mandrake. HELP !

X font server crash with mandrake. HELP !

Post by matr » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 04:34:25

Hi
When I do "startx" on Mandrake 7.2, I have a error msg and it's new :

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error
could not open default font 'fixed'

I delete the leftover lockfile of xfs :

Quote:>>> rm -f /var/lock/subsys/xfs

and I restart the X font server :

Quote:>>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start

But when I do :

Quote:>>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs status

I have about this :

xfs is dead but the lockfile is here (I'm not sure of the end of the line
but it's similar)

and if make "startx" a new time it's the same problem

this problem arrives after some weeks of use. It'is not the first time,
already with mandrake 7.1 7.2 and 8.0 !

If somebody can help me, please send your reply to :

And sorry for my very bad english.

Post by Dick Kistle » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 10:03:13

> Hi
> When I do "startx" on Mandrake 7.2, I have a error msg and it's new :
> _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect errno = 111 failed to set
> default font path 'unix/:-1' Fatal server error
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> I delete the leftover lockfile of xfs :
> and I restart the X font server :

> But when I do :

> I have about this :
> xfs is dead but the lockfile is here (I'm not sure of the end of the
> line but it's similar)
> and if make "startx" a new time it's the same problem  this problem
> arrives after some weeks of use. It'is not the first time, already with
> mandrake 7.1 7.2 and 8.0 !  If somebody can help me, please send your

> And sorry for my very bad english.

When I had this problem, I just restarted the font server

xfs &

and did a startx. X came up and then I began to fix other problems.
The other problem was that a bad install of Netscape 6.0 erased my /tmp
directory. Once I recreated that dir, my system ran ok.

I don't know if any of this will help, but there it is.

Dick Kistler

X font server crash with mandrake. HELP !

Post by Craig Ringe » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:42:00

Quote:> When I had this problem, I just restarted the font server

> xfs &

> and did a startx. X came up and then I began to fix other problems.
> The other problem was that a bad install of Netscape 6.0 erased my /tmp
> directory. Once I recreated that dir, my system ran ok.

Well that explains a lot. xfs creates its unix domain socket in /tmp by default, so if it can't find /tmp it'll die (or keep running w/o a unix xsocket). So X can't talk to the fontserver....

1. mandrake x font server. please help!

i just installed mandrake linux.  my x windows system worked fine yesterday
but today it won't start, presumably due to this error:

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

does anyone know how to resolve this problem?  it's driving me insane!

thank you very much,

dan

2. How can I do it ?

3. X window font server crash: help

4. HOWTO: get core dumps

5. Need help with server crashes (/var/crash files included)

6. Linux Command Line shutdown for NT4

7. mandrake x font server

8. Sample /var/spool/calendar/callog

9. Best fonts / font config for KDE (Mandrake)?

10. Font Server Failure - Mandrake 7.2

11. Mandrake 9 as Print Server, TT font problem

12. Problems with Mandrake 8.0 starting X Font Server

13. KDE Font Installer crashes, then smashes fonts