Shutdown doesn't work from X/XDM

Post by Franz Fackelma » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

|> howdy,
|> It's very strange, but when I type shutdown now -r from an xterm
|> window, after booting into X with XDM, it will not shutdown!
|> the console windows says that it is entering runlevel 6 (i think thats
|> it!) but it doesn't shutdown! I have to do a ctrl-alt-F1 to go to the
|> startup screen, then do a ctrl-alt-del!
|>
|> any ideas?
|> Thanks
|>
|> Jim

You should send the command into the background, and maybe redirect the
output/error to one of your VCs. At least for me it's working this way.

Eg.: shutdown -r now > /dev/tty8 2>&1 &

Bye
--Franz

 IBM - European Networking Center       Tel.: +49 6221 59-4563

 D-69115 Heidelberg                     VM:   heidelbg(fackel)

1. xdm problem: rlogin doesn't work under xdm

Hi,
Does anyone have the same problem?  I am running Slackware 2.1 and XF86 3.1.
Since, the startx and xinit doesn't work under XF86 3.1, I switched to use
xdm, and bring up user.  In this mode, rlogin doesn't work anymore.  It
simply returns and says 'connection close'.  Rlogin still works when I
switches to VC.  I am connecting thru SLIP using dip 3.3.7 uri since
the dip in slackware 2.1 doesn't work with my dipscript file.

Can anyone help me?  BTW, rsh, ftp, and telnet works in both modes.  Didn't
know about the other network utilities, didn't try.
Thanks in advance.
Please send the suggestion via e-mail to me.
--- Gwobaw Wu

2. Athlon Optimization Problem

3. gdm doesn't work (but xdm does work)

4. Fetchmail problems

5. Can't shutdown and new mouse doesn't work

6. File System Q(1st day newbie)

7. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

8. HTML LINK verifier ?

9. Shutdown doesn't shutdown anymore

10. shutdown doesn't "shutdown"

11. Help: I shutdown from X and now it doesn't work!

12. Single user shutdown doesn't work ?!?

13. shutdown doesn't work