Looking for data on X Dynamically loadable modules

Looking for data on X Dynamically loadable modules

Post by Craig Hagerma » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I saw where IBM was supposed to have been adding Dynamic loading of X
modules to the server.  Does anyone have any references to this work?

--
Craig Hagerman
Xsides Inc.

Looking for data on X Dynamically loadable modules

Post by Kenneth McGra » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I don't know anything about IBM adding dynamic modules but there is a
form of dynamic loading in the new 4.0 server.  The release notes
(www.xfree86.org) credited someone else with having provided the dynamic
linker (I believe it was Metrolink).  In the XF86Config file there are
several options which cause modules to be dynamically loaded.  I don't
know if there is a mechanism for dynamically loading modules after the
config file is parsed but it seems like this should be a relatively easy
addition now that they have the dynamic loader.

Ken McGraw

> I saw where IBM was supposed to have been adding Dynamic loading of X
> modules to the server.  Does anyone have any references to this work?

> --
> Craig Hagerman
> Xsides Inc.
> 821 Second Ave.
> Seattle, WA 98104-1504
> 206-336-1600

1. What kind of support for dynamically loadable kernel modules

Can someone please fill me in on the current status of dynamically
loadable kernel modules within Linux? The FAQ does not address this
issue at all.

In particular, I don't know if this can be done or not, but I am
interested in writing some kind of dynamically loadable kernel
module that would either trap or preempt certain system calls
and do its own thing. Then, at some point of time, the "module"
would terminate itself and return back to the normal world, and
the system would once again be a normal Linux system.

Is this a reasonable project given the current state of linux?

Any tips or pointers you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Hayim Hendeles

2. SuSe Linux 7.2 or Redhat???

3. What about dynamically-loadable kernel modules?

4. Printing SuSE 5.3 to RH 5.0 box via Samba?

5. Dynamically loadable STREAM modules

6. How do I now which version off GCC I have

7. Apache dynamically loadable modules

8. Unneeded code in memory_lseek() in kernel/mem.c

9. building dynamically loadable module

10. SVR4.2: DLM (Dynamically Loadable Module) sample source code?

11. (patch for Bash) dynamically loadable builtins

12. Newbie Question - Dynamically loadable shared libraries in AIX ?

13. Innocent question: why no dynamically loadable device drivers?