NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...

NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...

Post by ANT.. » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:17:27

Hi. I have been using my new video card (Leadtek WinFast A250 LE TD
(MyVIVO Edition; GeForce4 Ti 4200 with 128 MB) in Windows XP
Professional SP1 to understand how its Video In and TV Out works. So
far, they work and I am enjoying these "*ing" features. I also
set them up in Red Hat Linux 7.2 (compiled Kernel 2.4.19) as well
(same system -- I dual boot).

After reading the Linux driver README file from NVIDIA, I noticed the
TV output cannot be turned on and off easily like Windows' option. Did
I understand that I have to restart X server to enable/disable this
feature? Isn't there a program to control without restarting X server?
I don't use the TV output all the time to watch videos and rebooting X
server will be a hassle. I also want to keep the TV showing videos
(e.g., MPEG) while my monitor is using desktop. Basically, it is like
Matrox's dualhead setup.

NVIDIA documentation said nothing about video in. I have the video
card hooked up to a VCR (hooked up to a small TV) so I can
capture/record stuff on my computer. I also have the VCR's stereo RCA
cable to my SB Live's Line In so I can use my decent speaker setup
(Klipsch Promedia). I researched and found rivatv. I installed and it
worked (have to run modprobe rivatv after loading X server or else I
will run into problems with xawtv).

Thank you in advance. :)
--
   "I do not believe that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless
 and sterile battalion of the ants. It is the e*ment of becoming--

   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...

Post by Lee J. Moor » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:49:07

Quote:

[..]
> After reading the Linux driver README file from NVIDIA, I noticed the
> TV output cannot be turned on and off easily like Windows' option. Did
> I understand that I have to restart X server to enable/disable this
> feature? Isn't there a program to control without restarting X server?

[..]

I've never actually configured XFree86 to do TVOut with my
NVidia card having previous experienced loads of issues with an
ATI TV-Out card.

Instead, I use nv-tv which is available here:

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out

Apart from anything else, you have *far* more control over the
output signal.
--
Lee John Moore                 Powered by Gentoo
http://www.leej.dsl.pipex.com  [Portage  2.0.38]

Post by ANT.. » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 06:10:26

> [..]
>> After reading the Linux driver README file from NVIDIA, I noticed the
>> TV output cannot be turned on and off easily like Windows' option. Did
>> I understand that I have to restart X server to enable/disable this
>> feature? Isn't there a program to control without restarting X server?
> [..]
> I've never actually configured XFree86 to do TVOut with my
> NVidia card having previous experienced loads of issues with an
> ATI TV-Out card.
> Instead, I use nv-tv which is available here:
>    http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out
> Apart from anything else, you have *far* more control over the
> output signal.

Thanks. I hope this doesn't require restarting X server to enable/disable
TV out. I am hoping it is like Windows' NVIDIA tab. I will fiddle with
this program in Linux later on. :)
--
"I don't know how good ants are at swimmin', but I'd be willing to bet
 that a good fire'd get their attention." --MacGyver in Trumbo's World

   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...

Post by Lee J. Moor » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 06:33:05

Quote:

[NVTV app]
> Thanks. I hope this doesn't require restarting X server to
> enable/disable TV out.

That's the good thing.  It doesn't! :)

Quote:> I am hoping it is like Windows' NVIDIA tab. I will fiddle with
> this program in Linux later on. :)

I think you'll like it.  I don't know what the Windows NVidia
tab looks like but I would imagine nvtv gives you a lot more
control than that.  There's certainly no shortage of options,
frequencies and standards you can play about with.

--
Lee John Moore                 Powered by Gentoo
http://www.leej.dsl.pipex.com  [Portage  2.0.43]

Post by ANT.. » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:26:59

> [NVTV app]
>> Thanks. I hope this doesn't require restarting X server to
>> enable/disable TV out.
> That's the good thing.  It doesn't! :)
>> I am hoping it is like Windows' NVIDIA tab. I will fiddle with
>> this program in Linux later on. :)
> I think you'll like it.  I don't know what the Windows NVidia
> tab looks like but I would imagine nvtv gives you a lot more
> control than that.  There's certainly no shortage of options,
> frequencies and standards you can play about with.

Thanks again. :)
--

Post by ANT.. » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:46:31

> [NVTV app]
>> Thanks. I hope this doesn't require restarting X server to
>> enable/disable TV out.
> That's the good thing.  It doesn't! :)
>> I am hoping it is like Windows' NVIDIA tab. I will fiddle with
>> this program in Linux later on. :)
> I think you'll like it.  I don't know what the Windows NVidia
> tab looks like but I would imagine nvtv gives you a lot more
> control than that.  There's certainly no shortage of options,
> frequencies and standards you can play about with.

I fiddled with it and couldn't get TV out to work 100%. The FAQ said:
Q: I have a GeForce4 or GeForce4 MX card, and Nvtv doesn't work. What's
   wrong?

A: Both te GeForce4 and the GeForce4 MX cards apparently use some extra
   registers. Without the hardware, it is impossible to figure out
   exactly how to program them, so there is nothing I can do about that
   at the moment.

   Also, the GeForce4 MX cards sometimes use an internal TV encoder chip
   (which shows up as 'NV17' in the XFree log). This encoder is not
   supported by Nvtv yet, and again, without the hardware it's impossible
   to figure out how to do it.

I have a GF4 Ti 4200. DOH! I guess I will have to wait. Is there
another program that can do TV out? I will post on NVTVAPP mailing list.
Also, I wonder if I can use my video players to go directly to the TV so
I can use my computer monitor for stuff. I used Matrox's dualhead
overlay a lot. I hope I can do the same with NVIDIA.

Thank you in advance.
--

Post by Andy Pipe » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:45:09

> I have a GF4 Ti 4200. DOH! I guess I will have to wait.

Me too :-(
I've currently got it working by running a second X server on :1 which
uses the TV-OUT, but I'd prefer to use the nice nvtvapp code.

Quote:> I will post on NVTVAPP mailing list.

Didn't think there was one? I was thinking of mailing the authors and
offering and help and testing I can give to help to get my Siluro GF4 Ti
4200 working. I think they have forums, that's all.

Good luck to us both!

--
Andy Piper - Farnborough, Hampshire (UK)

http://www.andypiper.co.uk/

Post by ANT.. » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:52:32

>> I have a GF4 Ti 4200. DOH! I guess I will have to wait.
> Me too :-(
> I've currently got it working by running a second X server on :1 which
> uses the TV-OUT, but I'd prefer to use the nice nvtvapp code.
>> I will post on NVTVAPP mailing list.
> Didn't think there was one? I was thinking of mailing the authors and
> offering and help and testing I can give to help to get my Siluro GF4 Ti
> 4200 working. I think they have forums, that's all.

Err, I meant their forums. I monitor the forums so I get copies via
e-mails.

Quote:> Good luck to us both!

Ditto. This utility has potiential.
--
"I don't know how good ants are at swimmin', but I'd be willing to bet
 that a good fire'd get their attention." --MacGyver in Trumbo's World
                                                               episode
  /\___/\

   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

1. (Linear) Computer Video Editors / Video Overlay boxes & Linux

I know of three products that consist of some sort of "Smart Cable" (PC
serial port => LANC/IR) and an "Video Overlay" box (Camcorder & VGA in, Out
to VCR & VGA monitor, genlocked/scan converter):

        Sima's Model SAK (hardware made by Avermedia)
        Pinnacle's Video Studio 200
and     MicroJack's Video editor

All of these appear to be effective MS-Windows based "black boxes", in
the sense that the system is closed and proprietary with effectively no
real third-party software support -- yes Pinnacle has SDK's, but only for
MS-Windows 95, with only MS-Windows 95 DLLs.

Are there other products out there?  Are there any with *any* sort of
(useful) technical documentation?  I don't have MS-Windows installed on
any of my computers (and won't install it either).  I run pure Linux
systems on Intel x86 processors.  I am a professional computer
programmer -- if I had some basic technical documentation on the
programming modes, control bytes, and software protocols for a device
like this I am sure I could easily write the driver and control software
to manage one of these units (or something like them).  I have sent
E-Mail to the various companies involved and I have not received any
really useful information.

I have seen some information about home brewing up a "Smart Cable" of
sorts (i.e. interfacing a serial port to a LANC interface and building a
remote control IR emitter connected to a computer, somehow -- parallel
port or something), but I have not seen home brew "Video Overlay"
hardware described anywhere.

--
                                     \/

http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||FidoNet:    1:321/153
http://netmar.com/mall/shops/heller  /\

2. zone boot failed

3. Programming video card (ATI card w/ s-video & tv-out) Need direction to correct info

4. chroot - Why segmentation fault ?

5. video/audio plug-ins for Netscape 4.03 browser

6. awk or sed??

7. THINKPAD 770X REDHAT6.0 USING X-WINDOWS VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO THINKPAD 770X

8. Gnome and TurboLinux

9. Setup TV-Card and additional Video-In on Video Card

10. Onboard Video & AGP Video

11. Good video (3D & video input) card for Linux

12. FS: IBM RISC 6000 42T's w/GXT500 Video & S Video

13. PPC6400 w/Internal Video & Mactell S3 Video -- gdm problems