Soln: Mouse pointer lacks white border (black pointer on black background)

Soln: Mouse pointer lacks white border (black pointer on black background)

Post by George D » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:34:53

After much searching and trial and error, I found a solution to my problem. The
problem is that the mouse pointer cursor was all black - no white border. I
want a black backgound on my xterms, and as a result, the pointer would be
invisible when over an xterm.

I tried lots of things. Changing the colour depth fixed the problem, but I
really want the colours for Citrix ICA. Setting CursorStyle in fvwm didn't help
(just ignored the colour settings). Setting the X resource CursorColor didn't
help either.

I have solved the problem by putting

  Option   "sw_cursor"

in XF86Config in the display subsection where you specify the screen
resolution. I now have the white border restored. My pointer cursors in Citrix
ICA are also much better. Not just black any more. The X resource for
CursorColor now works too, haven't tried the fvwm settings.

Kewords: black mouse pointer cursor fvwm X X11R6 white border invisible
CursorStyle CursorColor
--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau.
/    * \ gedau at isa dot mim dot com

Post by gavro » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:49:05

> After much searching and trial and error, I found a solution to my problem. The
> problem is that the mouse pointer cursor was all black - no white border. I
> want a black backgound on my xterms, and as a result, the pointer would be
> invisible when over an xterm.

> I tried lots of things. Changing the colour depth fixed the problem, but I
> really want the colours for Citrix ICA. Setting CursorStyle in fvwm didn't help
> (just ignored the colour settings). Setting the X resource CursorColor didn't
> help either.

> I have solved the problem by putting

>   Option   "sw_cursor"

> in XF86Config in the display subsection where you specify the screen
> resolution. I now have the white border restored. My pointer cursors in Citrix
> ICA are also much better. Not just black any more. The X resource for
> CursorColor now works too, haven't tried the fvwm settings.

> Kewords: black mouse pointer cursor fvwm X X11R6 white border invisible
> CursorStyle CursorColor

Thanks for the follup.

Post by gavro » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:49:55

> After much searching and trial and error, I found a solution to my problem. The
> problem is that the mouse pointer cursor was all black - no white border. I
> want a black backgound on my xterms, and as a result, the pointer would be
> invisible when over an xterm.

> I tried lots of things. Changing the colour depth fixed the problem, but I
> really want the colours for Citrix ICA. Setting CursorStyle in fvwm didn't help
> (just ignored the colour settings). Setting the X resource CursorColor didn't
> help either.

> I have solved the problem by putting

>   Option   "sw_cursor"

> in XF86Config in the display subsection where you specify the screen
> resolution. I now have the white border restored. My pointer cursors in Citrix
> ICA are also much better. Not just black any more. The X resource for
> CursorColor now works too, haven't tried the fvwm settings.

> Kewords: black mouse pointer cursor fvwm X X11R6 white border invisible
> CursorStyle CursorColor

.. follow-up rather..  :-)

1. Pointer is black - lacks white border

My mouse pointers on my X screen are black - they lack the white border that
I've seen on other X screens. As a result, the pointer disappears when it is
over a black window such as an xterm. I have plenty of spare colours. Any ideas
on where the white border has gone?

Slackware 8, XFree86 4.1.0, Kernel 2.4.5

First video: Super-VGA
        Chipset: ATI 88800GX-D (Port Probed)
        Memory:  1024 Kbytes
        RAMDAC:  AT&T 20C491 15/16/24-bit DAC with gamma correction
                 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
        Attached graphics coprocessor:
                Chipset: ATI Mach64
                Memory:  1024 Kbytes

Everything else is fine. Screens look great, screensavers can update their
colour maps for those nice animated colours etc. The only thing is this
dissapearing mouse pointer.
--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau.
/    * \ gedau at isa dot mim dot com
\_,--\_/ I live in .au, you need to add that
      v  to the end of my e-mail address above.

2. Compiling sendmail for Linux

3. My pointer lacks the white border, just pure black

4. #@$%! AOL. What ISP do LINUXers use?

5. Sol9: CDE: how to flip dtterm to white on black, yellow on black, ...?

6. 8mm tape compatibility

7. STB Velocity 3D Black Screen & Mouse Pointer

8. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 2/2

9. Weird problem with Red Hat & Storm setup - text displays black on black background

10. terminal: black text on black background. Please help...

11. Black text on a black background

12. bash shell with white background and black font

13. I am tired of white text on black background