how can I know the current display name and screen name?

how can I know the current display name and screen name?

Post by Shi Ji » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:03:01

To export DISPLAY=host:#.#
I don't know the #.#. How can I know them?
Thanks a lot.

Post by Lurc » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:07:02

> To export DISPLAY=host:#.#
> I don't know the #.#. How can I know them?
> Thanks a lot.

Usually they're just 0.0
read "man X" for a complete explanation

In short:
The first 0 = the "display number". Every display has it's number. You
either gave the "-- :<nr>" option when you started X, or it chose it itself
(starting with 0 for the first X session)

The second 0 = the "screen number". When you have multiple monitors, each
monitor gets a number assigned to it. So the first monitor would be 0, the
second 1...

Hope this  helped...

--
Home: http://users.skynet.be/bk333466/
OS: RedHat Linux 7.2 (kernel 2.4.17)

1. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

Can someone please tell me what should I put for these name?

I have local network with several computers and one of them is running
redhat linux  6.1.  I also have an SMC router to get out to the

I want to setup my linux box to be my web/email/ftp/telnet server with
my registered domain name, goodman123.com.

host: c123456-a
domain: plano1.tx.home.com
IP: 24.1.2.3
nameserver1: 24.4.0.33
nameserver2: 24.4.0.34

SMC router:
IP: 192.168.123.254

linux box:
IP: 192.168.123.187

What should I put for these name?
<In netconf host basic configuration>
Host name:
Primary name + domain name:

<Resolver configuration>
Default domain:

<Basic sendmail configuration>
Present your system as:
Mail server:
Mail gateway:

Thanks!

2. lp-option

3. Which named ?...Solaris 2.5 in.named or Berkley named ?

4. pipe buffering in ksh?

5. netcfg: TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

6. citrix behind obsd firewall

7. no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

8. ADVERT: Caesarion v8

9. named.boot vs named.conf

10. empty path name interpreted as current directory

11. Server Domain name & Host name

12. change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

13. named unable to resolve a name?