example XF86Config file for Matrox G200 PCI?

example XF86Config file for Matrox G200 PCI?

Post by John DuMai » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Please excuse the novice nature of this question, but I'm brand new to
linux.  I'm trying to configure XFree86 to run with a Matrox Millenium
G200 PCI video card.  The Xconfigurator utility builds a file
that works at 320x240.  My pc is a hand-me-down that showed up without
manuals.  Does someone have an example XF86Config file that shows
entries for the other resolutions.

John Dumais                    1400 Fountaingrove Parkway
                               Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Phone:  (707) 577-4157         M/S 3US-C
Fax:    (707) 577-2887

Post by koen Gadey » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>If you are interested in a commercial  server, Xi Graphics has support for
>the G200 card in all modes and resolutions fully hardware accelerated,
>e.g.  upto 1900x1400x24bpp 'packed' (16.7 million colors).  We also
>support hardware gamma correction and overlays (24bpp and 8bpp at the same
>time on the same screen.  The last Xmark bench we did the results were 41
>X marks.  Two to three time the performance of any other X server.

>If you would like to demo the product please download it from:
>http://www.xig.com/support/demo2.html.

>Kyle

>> Please excuse the novice nature of this question, but I'm brand new to
>> linux.  I'm trying to configure XFree86 to run with a Matrox Millenium
>> G200 PCI video card.  The Xconfigurator utility builds a file
>> that works at 320x240.

You are probably using an old version of XFree86. Only the latest version
(3.3.3) supports your card. Of course you can always buy the Xig thing as
advertized above, but that'll cost you money. Money better spent on real stuff
like hardware.

Koen.

Any oppinions expressed are my personal ones, and not those of my employer.

When replying, please remove all the numbers from the E-mail address.
This inconvenience is brought to you by Spamford and his E-mail vultures.

example XF86Config file for Matrox G200 PCI?

Post by John DuMai » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> You are probably using an old version of XFree86. Only the latest version
> (3.3.3) supports your card. Of course you can always buy the Xig thing as
> advertized above, but that'll cost you money. Money better spent on real stuff
> like hardware.

That's probably it. I'm using 3.3.2.

Thanks,

1. Matrox G200 vs Matrox Mil II pci

Hi
I've currently got linux set up to boot from the same machine as Win95.
I've found myself spending most of my time in linux so I've decided to
set linux up on a dedicated machine of its own. The current Win95
machine has a Matrox G200 which handles X-windows with good speed. I'd
like to leave this card in the windows machine since it does 3d and I
have not seen any need for 3d support in linux, but I don't want to slow
X down any.
I have a Matrox Millenium II pci card available. I'd like to use it in
my linux only box. Is it just as fast in X-windows as the G200? Is there
a faster card than either of these for X?

I'd like the X stuff to run as fast as possible. WindowMaker deserves
the best video card I can give it.:)

I know I could try both and see, but I thought I'd post here before
doing that to see if anyone has any experience with both cards(Or any
card that is faster under X).  I'd appreciate any info anyone would be
kind enough to share.

Thanks
Jim Smith

2. smit backfile and smit backfilesys question

3. Need XF86Config for Matrox G200 with high resolution monitor...

4. Playing multiple sounds simultaneously

5. Diamond Stealth II G460 & Matrox Millinnium G200 or Mystique G200 drivers

6. a taper problem (backup)

7. Matrox Millenium G200 = Mystique G200?

8. Awkward installation problem (Networking)

9. Matrox G200 PCI support Linux??

10. Matrox G200 AGP/PCI

11. TRADE FOR MATROX G200 (PCI)

12. Probs with Matrox Millennium G200 SD (PCI)

13. Matrox Millenium G200 SD (PCI)