Slackware Linux 2.3 does not see Microsoft "Inport" Bus Mouse

Post by Ernesto Hern├índez-Novic » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I've been trying to setup XFree86 3.1.1 under Linux 2.3 Kernel 1.2.8 on
> my Pentium 100 System with a Microsoft "Inport" Bus Mouse. ( the older
> Ivory Soap Bar Version , not the newer "J" Mouse ) I ran the
> configuration utility in the "Setup" program and selected the "Microsoft
> Bus Mouse". I even tried re-compiling the kernal to properly match my
> configuration. But when I try to run "startx" after configuring X with
> the XF85Config program, it keeps saying it cannot find the mouse driver.

> there something missing ? I'm using the book "LINUX Configuration and
> Installation" from MIS Press, but all it has to say about mice is which
> ones are supported (mine included) and that setting them up is straight
> forward. But what if the straight forward setup does not work !?

Make sure /dev/mouse is linked to the appropiate device. Some "bus
mouses" are really PS/2-type mouses, you may want to try that too.
--

Just another Unix/Perl/Java hacker.
One thing is to be the best, and another is to be the most popular.

Post by Dave Rot » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I've been trying to setup XFree86 3.1.1 under Linux 2.3 Kernel 1.2.8 on
> my Pentium 100 System with a Microsoft "Inport" Bus Mouse. ( the older
> Ivory Soap Bar Version , not the newer "J" Mouse ) I ran the
> configuration utility in the "Setup" program and selected the "Microsoft
> Bus Mouse". I even tried re-compiling the kernal to properly match my
> configuration. But when I try to run "startx" after configuring X with
> the XF85Config program, it keeps saying it cannot find the mouse driver.

> there something missing ? I'm using the book "LINUX Configuration and
> Installation" from MIS Press, but all it has to say about mice is which
> ones are supported (mine included) and that setting them up is straight
> forward. But what if the straight forward setup does not work !? My mouse
> works just fine under Windows 95 and NT 4.0.

I, too, am using the Inport mouse (with the inport card) although mine is
indeed the "J" style. I have neither a ps/2 mouse port nor an extra serial
port: so here I am with the inport. I had a problem getting X to recognize
it too, even though MS WinNT sees it fine.
I had to move the inport IRQ from 2 to 9 because of the number of cards in
taking up other IRQ's. This, it ends up, was my problem. I had to edit the
(I believe) mouse.h file and alter the IRQ. Once I did this, recompiled the
mouse driver and ran XF86Setup everything was fine.

Can you load the mouse driver from a command line before running X? If so
then your mouse driver is fine the problem is with the X setup.
Let me know if you are still having problems with it.
dave
Dave Roth                               ...glittering prizes and
Roth Consulting                     endless compromises, shatter

 My email address is disguised to fool automailers. Remove the
                      X's to send me email.
Use of  this message or  email address  for commercial  purposes
(including "junk" mailings) is strictly prohibited and protected
under  current  international  copyright laws  and United States
Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II.

1. microsoft "inport" mouse /Xconfig problems

hello,
I have a logitech trackball that works fine with
the xconfig entry

logitech "/dev/ttys1"

but I'd like to switch over to  microsoft mouse that uses the inport.
I can't figure out the __complete procedure based on the faq.
I know there are issues like major/minor modes and creating devices
in the /dev directory but I haven't quite figured it out.
can someone please tell me the correct xconfig entry.
thanks,
ira

2. ioctl return value

3. 2.3 not "seen" ...

4. w3 logging problems

5. Bus Mouse - MS Inport Bus mouse will not work

6. USB and Digital Camera

7. Expert optimization needed!

8. make sees "makefile" not "Makefile"

10. Microsoft "InPort" Busmouse

11. Microsoft "Outlook" should be named Microsoft "Lookout"

12. S.u.S.E. LINUX with a Microsoft INPORT (bus) mouse