Gnome PPP applet?

Post by Carbon11 » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Greetings,
  I use KPPP to connect to my ISP but I would like to get rid of K
alltogether...Is there a similar applet somewhere in Gnome???
Regards, Carbon111

Gnome PPP applet?

Post by Rand Powel » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Greetings,
>   I use KPPP to connect to my ISP but I would like to get rid of K
> alltogether...Is there a similar applet somewhere in Gnome??? Regards,
> Carbon111

There are a couple. If you install wvdial, you can use rp3, redhat's
dialer. Works pretty well as a gnome-applet (what I use). It isn't as
developed as kppp, but works pretty easily. It's a front end for wvdial.

Easyppp is pretty good, but somewhat primative. You can also just write a
connection script and use any of the the instant dialers like pppon.

There is also gnome-ppp. Can be a pain setting up permissions though.

Randy

Gnome PPP applet?

Post by Rasput » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Greetings,
>  I use KPPP to connect to my ISP but I would like to get rid of K
>alltogether...Is there a similar applet somewhere in Gnome???
>Regards, Carbon111

The gnome modem lights applet is your man.
Right-click->properties will let you run any dialler you like.
Also has one of them thar bandwidth ticker things.

Like Enlightenment's  E-PPPX epplet, but in 5 times the RAM :)

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

1. GNOME ppp applet solution

While running X I was able to connect using usernet as configured in
xconfigurator.  When I installed GNOME, I tried using the slick ppp
dialup utility and found I could only connect as root.  However, when I
ran usernet again as a user, I could connect with no problems.  I had
looked for hours for a permissions or path problem but found none.  I
saw several questions posted to various newsgroups about this same issue
so I thought I would put my fix out here.

Firstly, the following commands still worked for all users:

/sbin/ifup ppp0
/sbin/ifdown ppp0

After discovering that (thanks to usenet info), I decided to make my own
applet to run ifup and ifdown.  It turns out there is a second ppp
applet that comes with GNOME.  It is better concealed but it seems to
work for all users.  Here's how you get to it:

1. RIGHT click on an open space on the panel (taskbar, whatever)

2. Move your mouse up until "Add applet >" is highlighted.

3. Move your mouse over and down to "Network."

4. Select "PPP Dialer"

An icon will be added to your panel that looks like a play/pause and
stop button.  Click on the "play" button and your modem should dial.
Click on the "stop" button and it should disconnect.  This is assuming
that you had working ppp in X before installing GNOME.

Hope this helps.

Tweezak
http://www.teleport.com/~tweezak/

2. test, (sorry)

3. GNOME PPP Applet -- Unsolved Mystery?

4. NTP-Problem

5. How to configure Gnome PPP Applet in RH6.0 Installation?

6. MultiLinkPPP

7. GNOME PPP Applet -- Unsolved Mystery?

8. ftp anomoly..

9. RH PPP Dialer applet in Gnome 1.4

10. rh7.1 and ppp gnome applet

11. GNOME applet problem

12. Compiling gnome.org tutorial applets

13. Is there a Gnome applet for V.92 modem?