Q: on updating just the X server

Post by Thomas Bah » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi all.

I am using Linux since Slackware 2.0 and have updated several packages by
hand being not in favour of a complete re-install. So my X11R5 meight be
the last old package now... :-)
Let's come to the point: Because I don't want to upgrade to X11R6 at all
for some reason, the question is whether or not I can replace the X
server instead of the entire X Window system. My intention is to get
XFree operating a bit faster or more smoothly in conjunction with my
Trident 9400CXi card. The old server I'm currently using is the general
SVGA server. Some other people told me there is an optimized one
available for the Trident !?

Thanks for your help,
Tom.

--
Use PGP encryption to protect email with private or confidential contents

You will get an automatically replied response.
                                   ,,,
                                  (o o)
+-----------------------------oOO--( )--OOo-----------------------------+
|                                                                       |
|      Thomas Bahls, Dept. of CS, University of Rostock, Germany        |
|                                                                       |
|  private phone: +49 381 4902129,  answering machine: +49 3834 501469  |

Q: on updating just the X server

Post by Rachel Polanski » Wed, 18 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I also use this card...
it is rather Slow, isn't it?

I just installed the Accelerated X server, and then updated it for the 9400cxi.

It is much much faster, and Netscape tells me it is many times faster, esp.
when scrolling text or graphics.

This package is server only, but is only a demo limited to 3 connections.
This is unacceptable for me, as I use many more than 3 apps at a time, (It's
not Windows ;) )

The complete uncrippled package costs quite a bit of money (more in Australia)
so I was also wondering if an optimised version of the SVGA server that comes
with XF86 has been made for the TGUI9400, using the linkit ?

An ELF version of this would be especially appreciated....

Please let me know!

Rachel

--

                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html

1. Qs on news server

Hi,

For those of you who have set up innd on you local machines...

I am windering how much disk space to allocate for a local Usenet news
server. I am thinking about newsgroups like the comp.sys.linux.* and a
few other popular rec.* groups. I am estimating the total traffic to
be about 10x of the daily traffic of this group.

JT

2. Via KT400 and AGP 8x Support

3. Qs on Linux going through a Win9x proxy server

4. Instant Messenger Client Needed

5. Solaris 2.5/Internet Server 1.0 Qs

6. help on shell script accesing sybase 12.0

7. Update DNS server from DHCP server

8. Contribute to pf(4)

9. Erasing sw - stupid qs

10. Two Debian 2.0 Qs

11. Easy Qs for ya

12. 2 Qs: How to register and where is _calendar_ or _remind_ ?

13. ARP Qs