X and Sony 17" fixed frequency monitor (badged Sun)

X and Sony 17" fixed frequency monitor (badged Sun)

Post by Mark Hogbe » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just installed Redhat 5.1, with an old monitor but would like to use my
fixed frequency monitor under X. I have a Matrox Millenium II and the model
number of the monitor is GDM-1662B. I have a user defined monitor file which
works with MGA Powerdesk under NT and Windows 95 at resolutions between
640x480 and 1600x1200, so is there a program that would convert these values
into an XF86Config file, or anyone else set up a similar combination.

Many thanks,
Mark.

Post by Leonar » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've just installed Redhat 5.1, with an old monitor but would like to use my
> fixed frequency monitor under X. I have a Matrox Millenium II and the model
> number of the monitor is GDM-1662B. I have a user defined monitor file which
> works with MGA Powerdesk under NT and Windows 95 at resolutions between
> 640x480 and 1600x1200, so is there a program that would convert these values
> into an XF86Config file, or anyone else set up a similar combination.

> Many thanks,
> Mark.

Xconfigurator has a monitor custom section that you can enter you monitor
specs. Make sure you have the right ones before you run the prog.

May the souce be with you

X and Sony 17" fixed frequency monitor (badged Sun)

Post by David L. Johns » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I've just installed Redhat 5.1, with an old monitor but would like to use my
> fixed frequency monitor under X. I have a Matrox Millenium II and the model
> number of the monitor is GDM-1662B. I have a user defined monitor file which
> works with MGA Powerdesk under NT and Windows 95 at resolutions between
> 640x480 and 1600x1200, so is there a program that would convert these values
> into an XF86Config file, or anyone else set up a similar combination.

I have a system which is not close enough to help, but close enough to
offer encouragement.  I have an old IBM fixed-freq 19" monitor from a dead
rs/6000.  I have it running well in XFree86-3.2.  I bought a card which was
designed for fixed-freq monitors, from Mirage.  I don't know whether your
card will work or not, but perhaps you could get yours to work with one of
their cards.

If you want more information, such as my XF86Config file (for comparison,
not to use directly, please), drop me a line.

--

Department of Mathematics  http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University

Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front of enough
typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of them would reproduce
the collected works of Shakespeare.  The internet has proven this not to
be the case.

X and Sony 17" fixed frequency monitor (badged Sun)

Post by chan » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I read some files long times ago (maybe HOWTOes) that you can calculate
the parameters for your XF86Config fields.
the key is
depth x width x high = video card memory
the v-frequency and h-frequency is associated with width and high.

Look at HOWTO config X-server from RedHat or Sunsite sites.