ATI Xpert (3D Rage PRO) under 3.3.1 anyone?

ATI Xpert (3D Rage PRO) under 3.3.1 anyone?

Post by Keith » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Has anybody gotten the ATI Xpert video cards with the 3D RAGE PRO chip
to work under XFree 3.3.1?  The docs say it should work, without the
ChipRev/ChipID fix, but all I get is a blank screen in every video
mode. The card works fine under win95, and my X works fine using my
old mach32 video card. X doesn't report any errors and will load up
apps in my .xinit, etc, although I obviously don't see them. It
doesn't work with the ChipRev/ChipId fix either, nor did 3.3. Without
the fix in 3.3.1, the card at least changes video modes and when I hit
ctrl-alt-+, I get the flickering of my monitor changing vid
modes... just in every mode my screen is blank.

I guess the faq does mention "some cards" not working, although I
think this is adequately vague to wonder whether or not my card is
just one of these "some cards" or am I missing some simple fix.

If anybody has gotten this to work or knows of something else I should
try, please let me know. Thank you.

-Keith A.

Post by Mr. Lu » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Has anybody gotten the ATI Xpert video cards with the 3D RAGE PRO chip
> to work under XFree 3.3.1?  The docs say it should work, without the
> ChipRev/ChipID fix, but all I get is a blank screen in every video
> mode. The card works fine under win95, and my X works fine using my
> old mach32 video card. X doesn't report any errors and will load up
> apps in my .xinit, etc, although I obviously don't see them. It
> doesn't work with the ChipRev/ChipId fix either, nor did 3.3. Without
> the fix in 3.3.1, the card at least changes video modes and when I hit
> ctrl-alt-+, I get the flickering of my monitor changing vid
> modes... just in every mode my screen is blank.

> I guess the faq does mention "some cards" not working, although I
> think this is adequately vague to wonder whether or not my card is
> just one of these "some cards" or am I missing some simple fix.

> If anybody has gotten this to work or knows of something else I should
> try, please let me know. Thank you.

> -Keith A.

  You'll have to wait, there's no driver support for it yet...