Enlightenment 0.16.4 & TCL/TK problems

Enlightenment 0.16.4 & TCL/TK problems

Post by Jesse F. Hugh » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Hey ho.

I upgraded from Enlightenment 0.15.5 last night, using the Slackware
package found at LinuxMafia.  Everything looks nice except for one
program I use:  the mail notifier tkbiff.

For some reason, enlightenment insists on making the window for tkbiff
exactly one line of text too short.  I upgraded tcl, tk and tkbiff to
see if that helped, but I still have the problem.  I am enamored
enough with this little mail notifier that I am tempted to downgrade
enlightenment.

Does anyone know of a less drastic solution?  I could be tempted to
part with tkbiff only if a replacement for all of the cool features
could be found in one program.  This doesn't seem likely.  So, what
else can I do?

Please email a courtesy copy of any replies, so that I can weigh my
options as soon as possible.

--
Jesse Hughes
"The only "intuitive" interface is the *.  After that, it's all
learned."                             -Bruce Ediger on X interfaces
"*s are intuitive, my ass!"      -Quincy Prescott Hughes

 
 
 

Enlightenment 0.16.4 & TCL/TK problems

Post by Rasput » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:>Hey ho.

>I upgraded from Enlightenment 0.15.5 last night, using the Slackware
>package found at LinuxMafia.  Everything looks nice except for one
>program I use:  the mail notifier tkbiff.

>For some reason, enlightenment insists on making the window for tkbiff
>exactly one line of text too short.  I upgraded tcl, tk and tkbiff to
>see if that helped, but I still have the problem.  I am enamored
>enough with this little mail notifier that I am tempted to downgrade
>enlightenment.

Either that or upgrade; e0.16.5 is out now.
ftp://ftp.enlightenment.org/pub/enlightenment/enlightenment

Are you sure it's the window manager? Try it with others.

Quote:>Does anyone know of a less drastic solution?  I could be tempted to
>part with tkbiff only if a replacement for all of the cool features
>could be found in one program.  This doesn't seem likely.  So, what
>else can I do?

I don't know tkbiff, but you could try a mailcheck epplet?
Have a look at:

http://x.themes.org/viewresources.phtml?type=epplet

Helped me get rid of GNOME, which has saved me a *lot* of
crash/swapping blues. (not a troll, just my experience)

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

 
 
 

Enlightenment 0.16.4 & TCL/TK problems

Post by Jesse F. Hugh » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> Either that or upgrade; e0.16.5 is out now.
> ftp://ftp.enlightenment.org/pub/enlightenment/enlightenment

I'll consider trying an upgrade, but the less time I devote to this
right now, the better.

Quote:> Are you sure it's the window manager? Try it with others.

Tkbiff works well with other window managers.

Quote:

> >Does anyone know of a less drastic solution?  I could be tempted to
> >part with tkbiff only if a replacement for all of the cool features
> >could be found in one program.  This doesn't seem likely.  So, what
> >else can I do?

> I don't know tkbiff, but you could try a mailcheck epplet?
> Have a look at:

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

I didn't see anything that tempted me.

One of tkbiff's great features is that, when mail comes in, it
displays the sender name and subject.  If you click on the row that a
piece of mail is being displayed on, it shows you the whole message.
You can decide after reading the message whether to go to a mail
reader and compose a reply -- without first firing up the mail
reader.  I find that very convenient.

There are other features I like as well.

--
"And the logical extension of free and open-source software in the
realm of sex would certainly include publicly shared sex at a sex
party,... * *ity and... non-proprietary * affection."
                                Annalee Newitz writing in Salon.com

 
 
 

1. TK/tcl gurus: wrong version of Tk loaded (3.6): need 4.x?

Hi:

I'm trying to run tkHTML 2.3, and when it loads, it gives an error:

Tcl_AppInit failed: wrong version of Tk loaded (3.6): need 4.x

According to glint (I've installed RH 3.0.3), I've got tcl version
7.4-5 and tk version 4.0-5.  Why does tkHTML seem to think my tk is
version 3.6 and not 4.0?  

I'm not a tk/tcl guru nor do I play one on TV.  So if anyone out there
is, please let me know what I can do.  After it (tkHTML) loads, none
of the menus work, it's basically broken, and I get error messages like:

tkerror failed to handle background error.
    Original error: invalid command name "tk_butEnter"
    Error in tkerror: unknown option "-wraplength"
tkerror failed to handle background error.
    Original error: invalid command name "tk_butLeave"
    Error in tkerror: unknown option "-wraplength"
etc.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mark

--
****************************************************************

Committee on Social Thought, University of Chicago

****************************************************************

2. silitek 7100 IR keyboard and mouse

3. Linux Tcl/Tk diffs in netcom.com: ~ftp/pub/yggdrasil/misc/tcl-diffs

4. getting xterms to display remote host names

5. Plans for Tcl/Tk8.4 version of tksh (ksh93 + Tcl/Tk)?

6. how to unpack 386BSD sys package ?

7. enlightenment 0.16.4->0.16.5 patch?

8. modem problem

9. XF2.3 and tcl 7.3 & tk 3.6

10. Getting tkined to go & new tcl/tk libs ??

11. TCL, TK & EXPECT

12. 4th Annual Tcl/Tk Workshop- Prereg & Hotel Deadlines Approaching

13. Perl & Tcl/Tk: How important are they?