HLP: Redhat- X trouble , CDROM trouble

Post by Jack Uklej » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have just installed Redhat 5.2. Everythin seems fine aprt form two
things. When i try to moun thte CDROM it complains that the file system
iso9660 ( or whatever its called) is unsupported. Surely Redhat comes
with support for CDROMS buitl in??

The other problem is obviuosly X. It took me a while ot get it working
on my old installtion, but now i have a new graphics card. Its a
Hercules Dynamite TNT 16mb AGP.

I have d/l all the new XF86* files such as the libs, the server, the
SVGA, the fonts etc. E.g a min new install. Ive installed them all with
rpm using the -U (upgrade). All went well.
When i run Xconfig(??) (the RH x-config util) it asks me to choose from
a list of cards. There are several TNT cards but not mine so i choose
any with the TNT chipset. As soon as i select one it says segmtation
fault and crashes with a core dump. Shall i config the XF86config file
manually?

Any help appreciated.

Jack Ukleja

Post by Jason Cliffor » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I have just installed Redhat 5.2. Everythin seems fine aprt form two
> things. When i try to moun thte CDROM it complains that the file system
> iso9660 ( or whatever its called) is unsupported. Surely Redhat comes
> with support for CDROMS buitl in??

It does support it via a kernel module. Have you go the kerneld daemon
started? Enter the command

px ax | grep kerneld

to check. If you see a line showing /sbin/kerneld you do.

Kerneld is the service responsible for automatically loading the needed
kernel modeules.

To ensure that it gets loaded at bootup su to root and enter the command
ntsysv. Then page down and select the kerneld option.

You don't need to restart to get the service running simply enter the
command

/etc/rc.d/initd/kerneld start

Quote:> I have d/l all the new XF86* files such as the libs, the server, the
> SVGA, the fonts etc. E.g a min new install. Ive installed them all with
> rpm using the -U (upgrade). All went well.
> When i run Xconfig(??) (the RH x-config util) it asks me to choose from
> a list of cards. There are several TNT cards but not mine so i choose
> any with the TNT chipset. As soon as i select one it says segmtation
> fault and crashes with a core dump. Shall i config the XF86config file
> manually?

You need to get the newer version of Xconfigurator as the old one does not
work with XFree86 3.3.3.

This may not solve your problem if your card is unsupported. I am not
familiar with the Hercules one.

Jason Clifford
Definite Linux Systems
http://definite.ukpost.com/

HLP: Redhat- X trouble , CDROM trouble

Post by Brian Luczkiewic » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

OK. for the CD-ROM problem, you'll have to add iso9660 support to the
kernel by doing a "make menuconfig" while in the /usr/src/linux dorectory,
selecting filesystems, and pressing the spacebar while "iso9660 cdrom
filesystem support" is highlighted until "<*>" or "[*]" appears next to it.
then after exiting and saving changes, do a "make dep" a "make clean" then
a "make zImage". finally, put the /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zimage file
in the appropriate place for your bootloader to find it.
-Zorr

Quote:> I have just installed Redhat 5.2. Everythin seems fine aprt form two
> things. When i try to moun thte CDROM it complains that the file system
> iso9660 ( or whatever its called) is unsupported. Surely Redhat comes
> with support for CDROMS buitl in??

> The other problem is obviuosly X. It took me a while ot get it working
> on my old installtion, but now i have a new graphics card. Its a
> Hercules Dynamite TNT 16mb AGP.

> I have d/l all the new XF86* files such as the libs, the server, the
> SVGA, the fonts etc. E.g a min new install. Ive installed them all with
> rpm using the -U (upgrade). All went well.
> When i run Xconfig(??) (the RH x-config util) it asks me to choose from
> a list of cards. There are several TNT cards but not mine so i choose
> any with the TNT chipset. As soon as i select one it says segmtation
> fault and crashes with a core dump. Shall i config the XF86config file
> manually?

> Any help appreciated.

> Thanks,

> --
> Jack Ukleja

1. More@!!.. Panasonic/SB-CD troubles, trouble, trouble...

  Dear Readers,
       This is the 4th week that I have tried to get Linux to recognize
       my Panasonic SoundBlaster CD- ROM. I have tried to mount it using
       the Soundblaster CD drivers Etc. It is for this reason that I am
       still left wondering...... I have a 486 DX 33Mhz,Cirrus VL 5428
       video, and 16 MB of Ram. When I start Linux from my Boot disk, it
       tells me that it has reconized my CD-ROM and so I feed my Root disk.
               The trouble is that when I try to run Linux Slackware from my CD-ROM
       it tells me, CD Device Timed out and ignores my CD totally.
              As far as I am aware this problem has been reported by lots
       of people with the same CD's as myself.
               Maybe it is '' About time for a correction''. Maybe Panasonic knows
               a ' bit' more than We Do???

       I am open to any reasonable suggestion or idea.
              Thank you.
                M. Rokach.

2. Strange ksh behaviour...

3. Trouble, trouble, trouble - SCSI ?

4. JDK 1.2 for linux?

5. Troubles with ATAPI CDROM driver and weird network troubles <tulip card>

6. Gnome doesn't switch from one app to other on RH 6

7. Panasonic KXL-D740 PCMCIA CDROM; trouble mounting RedHat 3.0.3 install CD

8. FTP complete folders

9. Routing trouble with RH 5,maybe NE2000 trouble ??

10. motherboard trouble? Amd K5 trouble?

11. Nebie trouble ===> Trouble with ToolTalk

12. HAving trouble setting up X [Trident Troubles]

13. help i have trouble with x applicationhelp i have trouble with x application