Why is GNOME not called a window manager?

Post by Christopher Brow » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>> Silly question, I know, but please enlighten me.
>> Is it because it runs on "top" of X11?
>> Thanks

>X11 is a library which implements windowing mechanism. Since
>all things portable run on X11, your thesis cannot be valid.

>Gnome is a windows manager, the apps, and the policies. It is
>more than a window manager. Perhaps it is also a way of life.
>Perhaps that is the reason why the Gnome people tend not to
>want to explain it too much.

Minor problem...

GNOME is *not* a window manager.

It doesn't manage windows in the X System.

It leaves that to a separate program, called a window manager, that
functions in the same fashion as other X window managers.

GNOME is much harder to see, in that the things about GNOME that are
important are not necessarily visible.

--> It provides a common set of libraries for use by applications,
including ones for manipulating data structures, XML files, and
configuration files.

--> It further intends to provide a "canvas" system so that applications
that need to print things can use the "GNOME Canvas," and thereby get
both visible output, and printable output.

--> It uses CORBA as a dynamic layer through which various sorts of
functionality may be registered, addressed, and interfaced.

--> It seeks to provide interfaces whereby applications can provide
scripting "for free."

These are the *REALLY IMPORTANT* parts of GNOME.  Note that there's only
one of the above-mentioned items that represents something that you'd be
able to look at and see.

People have mistaken the fixation of the not-dissimilar KDE Project on
Qt, and, of some proponents of GNOME, on the GTk GUI toolkit, for being
representative of something important.

--
"640K ought to be enough for anybody" -- Bill Gates - 1981