Power outage, now X won't start

Post by John Acuf » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:06:01

If this question has been answered before, I apologize. But I have
looked thru over 1100 postings and the FAQ that was posted with no luck.
My Linux box was running with me logged in as root when we had a power
outage. Now when I try to start X, I get an error message.
"Could not init font path element unix/:-1, removing from list!
Fatal server error:
Could not open default font 'fixed'
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining."
What happened? Was it caused because I was logged in as root? How can I
fix it short of re-installing?
BTW, I am running Mandrake 8.0.

Thank you!

John A

Post by Lucius Chiaravigl » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:47:02

>If this question has been answered before, I apologize. But I have
>looked thru over 1100 postings and the FAQ that was posted with no luck.
>My Linux box was running with me logged in as root when we had a power
>outage. Now when I try to start X, I get an error message.
>"Could not init font path element unix/:-1, removing from list!
>Fatal server error:
>Could not open default font 'fixed'
>XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
>after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining."
>What happened? Was it caused because I was logged in as root? How can I
>fix it short of re-installing?
>BTW, I am running Mandrake 8.0.

        I have had this happen before, and fixed it, but I don't know what
causes it, and I don't know exactly what I did to fix it.  All I know is that
the fix had something to do with running mouseconfig or Xconfigurator (I
forgot which) and whichever program it was saying something about a bad or
missing link somewhere in one of the X11 directory trees (I also forgot which
one of these) and offering to fix it.  I let it do so, and then things worked.

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio

To get the exact address:                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Replace indicated characters with common 4-letter word meaning the same thing
and remove underscores (Spambots of Doom, take that!).

1. What backup power supply can protect the fs against power outage?

Has anyone experince with power units like the APC Backup-UPS 280 for Linux
running on a 486?  I suppose one cannot guess this since the file structure
(especially in X11) must have its own time characteristic for breakdown. Don

--
Donald F. Parsons MD, Wadsworth Ctr. Rm C273, NY State Dept of Health, ESP,
PO Box 509, Albany, NY 12201-0509. (518)474-7047 Fax: (518)474-7992

2. pthread_mutex_is_locked(?) issue, any thoughts

3. power after power outage

4. Qt 2.1.0 beta!

5. power failure -> kde won't start anymore

6. Bye bye emusic.com

7. Sparc10 Won't power-on after shutting down through power button

8. Create routing table for 1 eth and multiple ppp interface

9. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

10. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

11. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled!

12. 'Server already active for display 0' - won't start

13. acpi won't power off 'puter