Linux XFree 3.1 Geometry/Fonts - Please Help ME!

Linux XFree 3.1 Geometry/Fonts - Please Help ME!

Post by Linda Wils » Tue, 14 Feb 1995 08:12:01

Several Problems:

I have a WD90C24 (treated as WD90C30) with 1MB ram.
X detects only 512K.  I force it to 1024K but the video is not mapped
correctly:

      ------------------------------------
      |                      |           |
      |          A          |    B     |
      |                      |           |
      -----------------------|-----------|
      |         D          |      C   |
      ------------------------------------

I don't know how the above will look to you, but basically the screen
duplicates itself in B, C, and D from A.   (I can run this in 1024x768 256
color in MS Windows)

Now, back to 640x480x256:

Second.

ALL OF THE FONTS are too big!   I have the 75dpi fonts loaded but the
window fonts are just too big.  I don't know how to make them smaller.

Three.

As a result of problem two, applications start in windows which are just
too damn big!  they go off the screen. (I don't have virtual windows set up)
my virtual display is 640x480.

Some applications I can't even reduce the window to fit on my display!
(i.e.Mosaic)

Anyone got any hints?!!!!

Linux XFree 3.1 Geometry/Fonts - Please Help ME!

Post by Dion Hollenbe » Thu, 16 Feb 1995 05:56:51

Linda> Now, back to 640x480x256:

Linda> ALL OF THE FONTS are too big!  I have the 75dpi fonts loaded
Linda> but the window fonts are just too big.  I don't know how to
Linda> make them smaller.

Linda> As a result of problem two, applications start in windows which
Linda> are just too damn big!  they go off the screen. (I don't have
Linda> virtual windows set up) my virtual display is 640x480.

I hate to tell you this, but short of using the -fn switch on every
client you start and using some font like 5x7 which is very *y
indeed, there is not much you can do.

The X server has been mostly used on workstations with substantially
larger displays and a resolution of 640x480 is only something that
pretty much came along when X was ported to PCs.  Even if you use the
5x7 fonts, then you cannot read them, they are so small.

The real solution is not to run X on anything smaller than about
800x600 and even this is pretty useless.  Yes, you can use a virtual
window manager like fvwm, or tvtwm, but when a single application will
hang over the edges of your display, event a virtual window manager
does not help much.

I seriously suggest you upgrade your system so that you can run a much
higher resolution, or use small fonts and magnifying spectacles, and
then, even some applications will not be helped.  I have resigned
myself to waiting to run X until I can upgrade from my 756x514 size
display to something reasonable.

dion

--

Staff Software Engineer     Megatek Corporation, San Diego, California

1. Please help with XFree 3.1 and S3 card

I am posting this for a friend, so please respond directly to him

Begin Included Message:

Hello.
I have just installed the newest Slackware release of linux and I am having
problems getting X to work... Can someone provide me with any piece of
information for XF86Config pertaining to  mey monitor (Sony 15SF) or
my video card (a no-brand S3 805 (VLB)).
If this video card is a really bad choice, can someone suggest me a good
card for around $100 (preferrably less - I do not do any high end graphics,
just need to run X in 1024x768 mode)

Thank you very much

Alik

:-)

2. conexant modem

3. Xfree 3.1 Please Help

4. Q: Does anybody make an SBUS FC-AL adapter that works with 3rd-party FC-AL disks?

5. Orchid Kelvin 64, ASUS MB, XFree 3.1... trashed fonts WHY??

6. Ether16 LAN Card and Ethernet 5-Port Workgroup Hub

7. Font problems with Netscape/XFree 3.1

8. kernel 2.2.17 complile error

9. Help: GhostView Help & XF86 3.1 Help. Please!!!

10. HELP: Mouse won't work under XFree 3.1

11. Help! Missing files in XFree 3.1

12. Help:XFree 86 3.1 with OAK oti077

13. Help! configuring XFree 3.1 with ET4000