XFree86 4.0 dual head Matrox G400 Max

Post by r.. » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to find an X server that can enable the use of both head's on
my dual head Matrox G400 Max. I couldn't find anything on
www.XFree86.org that said it wasn't supported, and Matrox cards seemed
highly recommended (that's why I got it).

Seems XFree86 doesn't support both head yet though.
AcceleratedX is supposed to support both heads of the G400, but it's
$200... I could have bought two cards, use XFree86, and saved money.
MetroX supports dual head configs... but doesn't mention anything about
using both heads on the Matrox G400 Max.

Anyone know when it will be supported in either MetroX or XFree86?
(or if there is any way to get a beta that supports it)

Josh I.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

XFree86 4.0 dual head Matrox G400 Max

Post by Jens Reh » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello

> I recently bought a Matrox G400 Dual headed video card.  Soon after I
> bought it an article in Linux Magazine appeared entitled "Taming
> the two headed monster" by Lou Grinzo.  The article seemed to imply that
> the only way to get Dual Headed support specifically with the G400 was
> by buying the Accelerated X server by Xi Graphics.  Which as you stated
> cost $200.  I don't like the price but I am going to buy it.  I also

well some months ago matrox announced to develop a XFree4.0 driver for the
Matrox G400DH supporting the dual head functionality. Right now there is
nothing about this topic anymore on their webpages.
I guess there is still hope :-)

Cheers Jens

XFree86 4.0 dual head Matrox G400 Max

Post by Dale Ponti » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I recently bought a Matrox G400 Dual headed video card.  Soon after I
> bought it an article in Linux Magazine appeared entitled "Taming
> the two headed monster" by Lou Grinzo.  The article seemed to imply that

I heard somewhere about using the framebuffer on one head, using
the XFB server, and using the regular SVGA/MGA server on the other
head. It was on this group, about a month or so back.

I only have one monitor, so I'm not fussing over my second head.
It pretty much came along with the 32MB, which I did want.

Dale Pontius
DEPontiusATusaDOTnet

XFree86 4.0 dual head Matrox G400 Max

Post by Jim Tom Pol » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

You have to dig, but the announcement about Precision Research and DRI
and dual head support for XFree86 4.0 is still there. I don't know what
the current status is however of the project.

So, yes, there is still hope.

The reason I'm interested is that I'm looking for a good solid card for
X, and everything that I've read says that the G400 is good now, and
will be much better in the future.

> Hello

> well some months ago matrox announced to develop a XFree4.0 driver for the
> Matrox G400DH supporting the dual head functionality. Right now there is
> nothing about this topic anymore on their webpages.
> I guess there is still hope :-)

> Cheers Jens
> --

        ''You might as well fall flat on your face as
          lean over too far backwards.''      --James Thurber--
   "The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three
          elements: energy, matter and enlightened self-interest."
                - G'Kar  "Survivors"