Correct way to start Gnome and Enlightenment?

Correct way to start Gnome and Enlightenment?

Post by davi » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Currently, I am using .xinitrc to start everything.

Here is my .xinitrc script

exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

# The gnome FAQ says to put exec gnome-session at the end of X script
#panel &
#gmc &
#exec gnome-wm
exec gnome-session

This works great except I don't get the gnome panel. I have to bring up
a terminal window and type panel & everytime I start X.

How do I set the WINDOW_MANAGER variable.  Do I put that in my .bashrc
file?

Instructions I was trying to follow:
http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq/html/x441.html

I use RH 5.2

Post by Derek Mark Eddi » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

>Currently, I am using .xinitrc to start everything.

>Here is my .xinitrc script

>exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

># The gnome FAQ says to put exec gnome-session at the end of X script
>#panel &
>#gmc &
>#exec gnome-wm
>exec gnome-session

>This works great except I don't get the gnome panel. I have to bring up
>a terminal window and type panel & everytime I start X.

>How do I set the WINDOW_MANAGER variable.  Do I put that in my .bashrc
>file?

>Instructions I was trying to follow:
>http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq/html/x441.html

>I use RH 5.2

When you reach the line

    exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

You do not return control to the script, because enlightenment
will not exit until you tell it to (unless it crashes).

Normally this is acceptable for a window manager, but if you
want gnome to run, you need to put enlightenment into the
background.

The way you normally want to exit a gnome X-session is to use
the log-off option in the gnome session manager.  This will
preserve the states of your open applications.  The way to
accomplish this is:

enlightenment &
exec gnome-session

Since gnome will now manage all of your X apps, this is really
all you need in your .xinitrc, with a few possible exceptions.

Happy hacking.

~~~~~~~ "An end to BS on Usenet in Our Lifetimes!" ~~~~~~~~~

Correct way to start Gnome and Enlightenment?

Post by Craig Jone » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

I am new to Gnome (been using KDE for a bit).

How do I set a "hot key" in GMC such that if I am in a directory and hit
(for exmaple) <CTL>-T I get a terminal window open in that directory.

Is there a way I can set the background of the GMC window.  The white is
quite blinding.

I am using enlightenment as the window manager.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Craig.

-----------------
Craig Jones

1. Problem with starting X (gnome/enlightenment) as root

I have been happily running Red Hat 6.0 (2.2.5) and using
gnome/enlightenment for a while, and everything seemed fine until
I powered up today and tried to log in as root (under init level 5) and
instead of going into enlightenment, the X server restarts and behaves
exactly as if I hit CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.  If I try logging in as my
normal user account, everything works fine.  If I use runlevel 3, and
start X manually as root, it runs, but very, very slowly.  It *may* be
possible that my .xauth or some other config files are messed up, but
I didnt do anything to them (that I know of), and I dont know much about
them.  Everything was working fine earlier today.  Does anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

2. ibm fru 11H7660 ?

3. Enlightenment does not start up along with Gnome

4. slow network

5. Remotely starting Gnome/Enlightenment

6. pppd and demand on dial w/ masquerade

7. GNOME set up... having a hiccup during GNOME start up.

8. How to create a remote acess for printer on Lexmark box ?

9. Ways to figure out what started a diald

10. Automatically starting program when GNOME starts

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. ESD wont work on Debian potato GNOME/Enlightenment?!

13. Gnome/Enlightenment background turns gray