How can I excute X-windows application via slip under Xfree86

How can I excute X-windows application via slip under Xfree86

Post by Moon, Young Joo » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Under windows 95, using Xodus,  I could excute some X-window program which
is located in UNIX system in my school via PPP connetion. I could see
exactly the same result from this.
However, how could I do that using Xfree86 under Linux.... I can connet to
school via slip.

Please give me any comments for this
Thanks.....

Young

Post by Hans De Bo » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Under windows 95, using Xodus,  I could excute some X-window program which
> is located in UNIX system in my school via PPP connetion. I could see
> exactly the same result from this.
> However, how could I do that using Xfree86 under Linux.... I can connet to
> school via slip.

> Please give me any comments for this
> Thanks.....

> Young

export DISPLAY=<your address>:0.0   on the remote machine and
xhost +                             on the local machine

If you want to know what it means, read the man pages.

Hans De Boo.

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. hierarchical automount maps

3. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

4. Qmail TEST.deliver

5. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

6. Sis6326 AGP 8Mb

7. Installing X-Windows -- No applications come up

8. Linux-Wlan Problems

9. X-Windows Applications

10. Automated testing of X-Windows/Motif applications.

11. can't control the position of an own X-Windows application

12. Help systems for Unix, X-windows applications

13. Q: Can you create an application with a GUI without using X-Windows ?