changing xdm resolution - how?

Post by george » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi guys,

I managed to change the run level in RedHat 5.0 to run xdm as my login
screen. I also managed to tell xdm to run KDE as the window manager (a
lot of woirk I tell you). Now what I would like to do is run KDE in 16
bit resolution. I tried few things, but I only managed to mess up the
files, and reading is not doing me any good. Any idea ?

georges

changing xdm resolution - how?

Post by Craig Behn » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

The colordepth is set when you start X (or xdm starts X), not by KDE.
Change the call to X in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to X -bpp 16, or change the
default colordepth in your XF86Config. Cheers,

                                                -Craig

Quote:> Hi guys,

--
Craig Behnke
Biomolecular Structure and Design Program, University of Washington

Post by george » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> The colordepth is set when you start X (or xdm starts X), not by KDE.
> Change the call to X in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to X -bpp 16, or change the
> default colordepth in your XF86Config. Cheers,

>                                                 -Craig

> > Hi guys,

> > I managed to change the run level in RedHat 5.0 to run xdm as my login
> > screen. I also managed to tell xdm to run KDE as the window manager (a
> > lot of woirk I tell you). Now what I would like to do is run KDE in 16
> > bit resolution. I tried few things, but I only managed to mess up the
> > files, and reading is not doing me any good. Any idea ?

> > georges

> --
> Craig Behnke
> Biomolecular Structure and Design Program, University of Washington

  Excellent tip. Thank you for your help. Why these simple but important
things aren't mentioned anywhere in the docs ?

Cheers.

changing xdm resolution - how?

Post by David Z. Maz » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

g> I managed to change the run level in RedHat 5.0 to run xdm as my
g> login screen. I also managed to tell xdm to run KDE as the window
g> manager (a lot of woirk I tell you). Now what I would like to do is
g> run KDE in 16 bit resolution. I tried few things, but I only
g> managed to mess up the files, and reading is not doing me any
g> good. Any idea ?

One solution is in the XFree86-HOWTO, section 4.4.  Countless others
have been given on this newsgroup; check DejaNews if you want to see.

--
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called