Error when running XF86Setup

Post by morg.. » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm also new to both Linux and X, and I have the same problem.
My system is a 200Mhz Pentium Pro on an AMI Merlin motherboard
with 32 megs ram.  I have a WDAC33100 hard drive, an SB32AWE, and
a 3com 3c509.  my video card is a diamond stealth 3d 3000 with 4 megs
vram.  the error message is:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno = 111

what does this mean?  can anyone tell me?  i'm reaching desperation.

Error when running XF86Setup

I'm new to both Linux and X, and I am having a problem.

Post by Herbert Rosmani » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno = 111
: what does this mean?  can anyone tell me?  i'm reaching desperation.

the X-server aint runnin.

when you start an X-application, it sends its output to the X-server.
if you do already see that X is active on your screen and you have not
modified the DISPLAY variable, then this error should not happen.
but more likely, you are telneting to a different host and have for-
gotten to set the DISPLAY variable on the target host to point to
your server correctly.
e.g. you are on host "a.b.mit.edu" and you are telneting to host "u.v.mit.edu"

a.b.mit.edu: telnet u.v.mit.edu

then, on host "u.v.mit.edu" you'd have to write something like
"export DISPLAY=a.b.mit.edu:0" or "setenv DISPLAY a.b.mit.edu:0", depending
on your shell. also, on host a.b.mit.edu, you'd have to allow u.v. to
send its output there, and you do this by typing "xhost + u.v.mit.edu".
(someone please explain how MIT-Magic-cookies work here :-)

if you dont set your DISPLAY variable, the X-applications on the remote
host will try to send their output to the local X-server of the remote host,
and since this is a server, its unlikely that there is a X-server running
(which, in fact, is so, and is what the message "can't connect" means)
and its even more likely that you would be allowed to send your X-output
to the remote host's X-server.

Error when running XF86Setup

Post by Manuel Gebaue » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have the same problem. Trying to start XF86Setup there is always the
error message

_X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect:cant connect: errno = 111.

I am using Linux 2.0 (LST-Distribution 2.2) with XFree 3.1.2. My System
is a AMD 5k86 with Spea-V7 Vega Video.

--

Post by Christopher Alvi » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>: _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno = 111
>: what does this mean?  can anyone tell me?  i'm reaching desperation.
>the X-server aint runnin.
>when you start an X-application, it sends its output to the X-server.
>if you do already see that X is active on your screen and you have not
>modified the DISPLAY variable, then this error should not happen.
>but more likely, you are telneting to a different host and have for-
>gotten to set the DISPLAY variable on the target host to point to
>your server correctly.
>e.g. you are on host "a.b.mit.edu" and you are telneting to host "u.v.mit.edu"
>a.b.mit.edu: telnet u.v.mit.edu
>then, on host "u.v.mit.edu" you'd have to write something like
>"export DISPLAY=a.b.mit.edu:0" or "setenv DISPLAY a.b.mit.edu:0", depending
>on your shell. also, on host a.b.mit.edu, you'd have to allow u.v. to
>send its output there, and you do this by typing "xhost + u.v.mit.edu".
>(someone please explain how MIT-Magic-cookies work here :-)
>if you dont set your DISPLAY variable, the X-applications on the remote
>host will try to send their output to the local X-server of the remote host,
>and since this is a server, its unlikely that there is a X-server running
>(which, in fact, is so, and is what the message "can't connect" means)
>and its even more likely that you would be allowed to send your X-output
>to the remote host's X-server.

I get the same error, I am using a Number Nine Motion 771 and I am configuring a stand alone system.  This happens after I run XF86Setup and it is trying to configure my video, it just displays the "_X11Trans...... errno: 111" error and then kicks me back into the XF86Setup program.  I tried all the above suggestions concerning the DISPLAY settings etc. but with no success.  If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate help.

Error when running XF86Setup

Post by Roberto Pava » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I get the same error, I am using a Number Nine Motion 771 and I am
> configuring a stand alone system.  This happens after I run XF86Setup
> and it is trying to configure my video, it just displays the
> "_X11Trans...... errno: 111" error and then kicks me back into the
> XF86Setup program.  I tried all the above suggestions concerning the
> DISPLAY settings etc. but with no success.  If anyone has any
> suggestions I would greatly appreciate help.

I got this same error when I attempted to run Setup while using the old
XF86Config file for defaults.  When I chose 'No' to this option,
everything ran fine - or as fine as Setup can run...

Your faithful narrator,
Roberto Pavan

I'm not supposed to be like this - but it's OK.
                "The Wrong Child" - R.E.M.

1. Error running XF86Setup

When I try to run XF86Setup I get an error:

    XF86Setup: can't resolve symbol 'bsd_tcp'

and the setup program won't run. Any thoughts on what's going on and
suggestions on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Howard Balshem
Research Analyst
Oregon Health Division

2. HEEELLLLLP! PPP Woes....

3. XF86Setup runs fine, startx doesn't ???

4. Booting NT from lilo

5. Help: Unable to run XF86Setup

6. UNIX sort exponents (bc|sort)

7. XF86Setup will not run

8. Newbe question: Pearl or Python, which is better?

9. Problems running XF86Setup

10. unable to run XF86Setup/Apollo Mvp4

11. Please help: Can't run XF86Setup (missing $XF86Setup_startup ?)

12. XF86Setup does not run

13. XF86Setup dies with "program running on different VTerminal" WHY?