KDE w/ kscd problems

Post by Stev » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I recently installed KDE (rpms downloaded from Cleveland LUG) under RedHat
5.0 and it seems to run fine.  However, I also installed the multimedia
applications (including kscd).  If I start kscd, it puts a small cd icon in
a tray in the bottom right of the panel (just to the left of the time).
The next time I start kscd, it adds another icon, and so on.  I have been
unable to remove the icons in any way except to rename all kscd files then
shutdown and restart KDE.  If I start KDE without renaming kscd files, I
get an open application for each instance of the icon on my desktop.  I
can't even find a reference to KDE having a WIN95-like tray in the panel,
nor how to get rid of it.  An email to Bernd Wuebben confirmed that he has
never run into such a problem with kscd.  Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

-Steve

KDE w/ kscd problems

Post by Stephan Bea » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I recently installed KDE (rpms downloaded from Cleveland LUG) under RedHat
> 5.0 and it seems to run fine.  However, I also installed the multimedia
> applications (including kscd).  If I start kscd, it puts a small cd icon in
> a tray in the bottom right of the panel (just to the left of the time).
> The next time I start kscd, it adds another icon, and so on.  I have been
> unable to remove the icons in any way except to rename all kscd files then

I had a similar problem. It would re-start kscd each time I started KDE.
It eventually just "went away", but I don't know why. I would get 2
copies of the cd player each time I started up. That lasted for about 4
or 5 restarts, then it quit.

--
----- Stephan Beal

http://www.he.net/~sgbeal

KDE w/ kscd problems

Post by Stev » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Due to the session management it will restart those application you
> have running when ending you X session. To disable session management
> start kwm with -nosession ie "kwm -nosession" or exit those applicatons
> you don't want restarted before end the X session.

Thanks for your reply.  However, in my case, exiting the kscd
application(s) gets rid of the buttons in the taskbar at the top of the
screen as well as removing the application from the desktop, but does not
get rid of the icon(s) in the panel 'tray', nor does it stop kscd from
show up in the panel 'tray' (I can't remember which application), but when
I right clicked on it, there was an option to delete it.  There is no such
option when I right click on the kscd icon in the panel 'tray'.  The only
way I have found to remove the kscd icon in the panel 'tray' after running
kscd is to temporarily rename the kscd files/directories and then restart
KDE.

-Steve

KDE w/ kscd problems

Post by Stev » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> You can't exit kscd by just killing the kscd window, you'll have to click
> on the exit button (the one at the left bottom, 1-0).

I'll have to try that (I'm at work now on WinNT).  Is this a normal procedure?
Every other application I have used in KDE has killed when I click on the 'X' in
the upper right corner of the application window.

Quote:> I not sure but i suspect
> that you need a three button mouse or at least to simulate a 3 button mouse
> in order to get the menu when right clicking on the icon. Check your mouse
> settings in your X-server. (If your using XFree86 you should have;

> Emulate3Buttons
> Emulate3Timeout    50

> in you XF86Config file under Pointer section.)

I have my 2-button mouse set to emulate a 3-button mouse when both the left and
right buttons are pressed.  I tried this on the kscd icon with no results.

Quote:> Have you really tried "kwm -nosession"? It should work.

I am sure that it would, however, my question was (or at least is) how to get rid
of the kscd icon in the 'tray', without exiting and restarting KDE.  It appears as
though this may not be possible?  I don't want to get rid of the benefits of
having my sessions saved, just to avoid what appears to be a bug in kscd to me.

-Steve

KDE w/ kscd problems

Post by Charles Mul » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I recently installed KDE (rpms downloaded from Cleveland LUG) under RedHat
>5.0 and it seems to run fine.  However, I also installed the multimedia
>applications (including kscd).  If I start kscd, it puts a small cd icon in
>a tray in the bottom right of the panel (just to the left of the time).
>The next time I start kscd, it adds another icon, and so on.  I have been
>unable to remove the icons in any way except to rename all kscd files then
>shutdown and restart KDE.  If I start KDE without renaming kscd files, I
>get an open application for each instance of the icon on my desktop.  I
>can't even find a reference to KDE having a WIN95-like tray in the panel,
>nor how to get rid of it.  An email to Bernd Wuebben confirmed that he has
>never run into such a problem with kscd.  Any ideas would be greatly
>appreciated.

>-Steve

I've seen the same problem on my setup (RH5, KDE Beta 4, SB16, Creative
Labs 2X CD).  I got rid of the icons by kill'ing the processes - didn't
have to rename any files (& never thought of it, anyhow).

I'm quite certain I can reproduce the problem if anyone wants to ask
any pertinent questions (no idea what they would be), but right now
my spare bedroom, where I have my Linux box setup, is occupied by my
brother-in-law.

Cheers,
Charlie Mulks

KDE w/ kscd problems

Post by Stev » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I've seen the same problem on my setup (RH5, KDE Beta 4, SB16, Creative
> Labs 2X CD).  I got rid of the icons by kill'ing the processes - didn't
> have to rename any files (& never thought of it, anyhow).

After reading the responses I have received (thanks!), and doing some more
checking I have a few additional comments.  If you click on the exit button
in the lower left of the kscd application window, kscd closes and
terminates properly and the icon in the 'tray' disappears (I hadn't looked
for another exit button because I assumed that clicking on the 'X' in the
upper right corner would close kscd).  If you click on the X in the upper
right corner of the kscd application window, the application window closes
but kscd does not terminate.  Perhaps this is the way kscd was designed?
If so, it seems rather counter-intuitive when most (all?) other
applications terminate when the 'X' is clicked.

So another way to get rid of the icons in the 'tray' is to click on one to
bring up a kscd window and then click on the exit button in the lower left
corner of the window; repeat if you have more than 1 icon in your 'tray'.

-Steve

1. KDE - Kscd won't play CD's

I just got sound working in Linux (Mandrake 7.0), and I tried the KDE CD
player, Kscd.  However, no matter what I do, the display says
"ejected".  I changed the CD device from /dev/cd-rom to /dev/hdc in the
Kscd Configuration panel, and that didn't work, either. I also changed
the permissions for both /dev/cd-rom and /dev/hdc to a+r, as suggested
in the help file.  The CD player works fine in Windows 98.

I'm using KDE 1.1.2.  My sound card is a Turtle Beach Montego A3D, using
the module au88xx-1.0.5, and system sounds work when I test them in K
Control Panel.

I wanted to ask here before submitting it as a bug to KDE.  Has anyone
else had this problem?

Thanks,

PixelDust

2. NFS install of Mandrake v6.1 on my portable with DLink DE-600 ?

3. KDE & kscd 1.2.7

4. Modem irq problem

5. FreeBSD - KDE - kscd dropping core on startup..

6. trying to get additional disk (ie a d: drive) to be recognized by FreeBSD

7. kscd kde cdplayer

8. Advice on 50 million hits per day counter system?

9. kscd problem

10. Mail problems in KDE and crached KDE

11. SuSE 8.1, sax2, yast, KDE, problems (I broke KDE)

12. Mail problems in KDE and crached KDE