1. X11 on Sony Vaio PCG-R600, Intel i830 chipset
I've been looking around for a couple of weeks trying to solve
this problem, to no avail. Basically, I'm beginning to come to the
conclusion the laptop is just too new to work with X 4.2.0, but
figured I'd give it one last try to see if anybody has this working.
I can only get 640x480 in 16 bit colour, or 1024x768 in 8 bit
colour. From what I can gather, config of the i830 chipset is using
the i810 driver, but with dependancies on BIOS settings. The following
Intel URL is quite helpful.
Here's a snippet from my XFree86.0.log...
(II) VESA(0): initializing int10
(WW) VESA(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
(II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 832 kB
This is using the Vesa driver at the moment (it's semi working!)
lspci shows the following...
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82830 CGC [Chipset
Graphics Controller] (rev 04)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp. 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics
And my XF86Config-4 has...
Identifier "Intel 830"
Option "AGPMode" "1"
If I try to use the i810 driver, and choose either BusID (0:2:0 or
then X will not load and the XFree86.0.log will say that there is not
enough memory to run 1024x768x16bpp.
Reading the Intel document above, it seems to imply that the BIOS
has a fixed setting of 832kb of memory allocated to the graphics, and
there is no way I'm going to get around this (until the i810 X11
is written very differently, or I get a different BIOS). There is no
setting in my laptop's BIOS to adjust this, so am I scuppered?
If anybody has any tips on how I can resolve this it would be great.
Otherwise, I'm going to have to run Windoze until the X drivers
this chipset properly :(
2. USB2.0 support
3. X11 on Sony VAIO PCG-XG18/19 - config file...
4. Problem for Linux "C" gurus
5. Sound On a SONY VAIO PCG-F340 Redhat 6.1
6. Yelling "FLOCK off" doesn't seem to work.
7. Linux on a Sony VAIO PCG-XG9 notebook
8. Boot process - newbie question
9. Linux installation in SONY VAIO PCG-885.
10. Sony Vaio PCG-818, PCMCIA not working
11. X on Sony Vaio PCG-717C Laptop
12. 2.4.5-ac17 oops on Sony Vaio pCG-FX140
13. Sony Vaio GRT Series - PCG-GRT1002A - Input Please