Help with ATI XPERT 98D 8MB AGP card

Post by Juping J » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I purchased Dell XPS R400 computer with 12.9 gb hard driver and ATI Xpert 98D
3D 2X AGP card. I am not able to get X running on it.

I am running Slackware Linux 3.4 with kernal 2.0.30. It doesn't recognize the
size of hard drive, so I have to specify head, cylinder and sector when boot.
Then I recompiled kernel 2.0.36 with no error. However Lilo cannot run (
probably due to large hard driver). I have to manually copy the image to floppy
and boot with new kernel.

However, when I looked at log after running X, XFree86 reported the kernal is
2.0.30 not the new version. The X I am 'running' is 3.3.3 with Mach64 server.
After start X, the screen is divied into three columns,  no cursor, no mouse.
I had specified ram size, but no help. I am not sure if the problem is caused
by the kernal, large hard drive size, or incorrect configuration.

thank you for your time and suggesiton.

Post by Brad Nixo » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> divided into 3 columns on my system as well, haven't found a fix yet though...

Brad Nixon

Help with ATI XPERT 98D 8MB AGP card

Post by Brad Nixo » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I was able to fix my problem by disconnecting the cable from the TV out jack.
That's probably your problem as well.

Brad Nixon