Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by Thomas M. Herol » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>  Diamond does not seem to supply a Linux driver for the Fire GL
> Pro.Can anyone tell me who does, and where I can find it? Thank you in
> advance!-.V kciN

  Diamond does'nt supply a driver for Linux, but in the new
 xfree86 release 3.3.3  the Permedia2 chip is supported.
 There are also commercial solutions (AcceleratedX and Metro-Link).
 I prefer the Metro-Link driver, cause it is less expensive.

 bye
Thomas

Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by Michael Fro » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Diamond does not seem to supply a Linux driver for the Fire GL Pro.
> Can anyone tell me who does, and where I can find it?

> Thank you in advance!
> -.V kciN

Look at http://www.suse.de, they provide a driver which works fine for
me.
Micahel

Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by Jeremy L. Buchma » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: >  Diamond does not seem to supply a Linux driver for the Fire GL
: > Pro.Can anyone tell me who does, and where I can find it? Thank you in
: > advance!-.V kciN

I think what you're asking for is an X server to use with the FireGL.
Linux (in text mode) can use any color (or monochrome) card.  Diamond
wouldn't supply an X server...that's asking a bit much.  Luckily, SuSE
made one for the 3DLabs Premedia II chip that the FireGL Pro uses.

http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html

You want "XFCom 3DLabs".  And yes, all these servers will be in the next
release of XFree86.
Good Luck,
Jeremy

Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by attobyt » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

We Need to put pressure on these idiot to support Linux if we buy their
product, WHY NOT.
I sent diamond an e-mail two weeks ago about it everyone from the linux
group should pressure all the none supportive asses.

>>  Diamond does not seem to supply a Linux driver for the Fire GL
>> Pro.Can anyone tell me who does, and where I can find it? Thank you
>> in advance!-.V kciN

>   Diamond does'nt supply a driver for Linux, but in the new
>  xfree86 release 3.3.3  the Permedia2 chip is supported.
>  There are also commercial solutions (AcceleratedX and Metro-Link).
>  I prefer the Metro-Link driver, cause it is less expensive.

>  bye
> Thomas

Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by Olaf Meye » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Go and get the server from www.suse.de. They support the Fire GL 1000 Pro.

Olaf

--

 Computer and Information Science | http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~olafm |  _-\_<,
 University of Pennsylvania       |                                  | (*)/'(*)

Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by Jeremy L. Buchman » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: We Need to put pressure on these idiot to support Linux if we buy their
: product, WHY NOT.
: I sent diamond an e-mail two weeks ago about it everyone from the linux
: group should pressure all the none supportive asses.

What we are talking about here is an accelerated X server, not really a
driver.  If it were a driver, you compile it into the kernel like all the
other drivers.
It is not Diamond's responsibility (or any other video card manufacturer)
to write an X server for their cards.  No other video card manufacturer
has done this...it has been the work done by XFree86 and other groups like
SuSE that brings us the proper X servers.

:>
:>>  Diamond does not seem to supply a Linux driver for the Fire GL
:>> Pro.Can anyone tell me who does, and where I can find it? Thank you
:>> in advance!-.V kciN
:>
:>   Diamond does'nt supply a driver for Linux, but in the new
:>  xfree86 release 3.3.3  the Permedia2 chip is supported.
:>  There are also commercial solutions (AcceleratedX and Metro-Link).
:>  I prefer the Metro-Link driver, cause it is less expensive.
:>
:>  bye
:> Thomas

--
----------
"Ten years after crushing communism, the power of the

Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by J.R. Chaffe » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

What a childish statement. "If these $%#A$ are not going to supply me
with a
(free) product to use with another (free) product we should put
"pressure"
on them..."
Does this child think the world owes him/her a living too?
Why should Diamond (or any other firm) pay any attention to
such immature rants?

dc

> We Need to put pressure on these idiot to support Linux if we buy
> their product, WHY NOT.
> I sent diamond an e-mail two weeks ago about it everyone from the
> linux group should pressure all the none supportive asses.

>> >  Diamond does not seem to supply a Linux driver for the Fire GL
>> > Pro.Can anyone tell me who does, and where I can find it? Thank you
>> > in advance!-.V kciN

>>   Diamond does'nt supply a driver for Linux, but in the new
>>  xfree86 release 3.3.3  the Permedia2 chip is supported.
>>  There are also commercial solutions (AcceleratedX and Metro-Link).
>>  I prefer the Metro-Link driver, cause it is less expensive.

>>  bye
>> Thomas

Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by attobyt » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Do they write drivers and software for Windows 95,98
maybe i stated may statement wrong
why can't that stuff be complied for linux

> What a childish statement. "If these $%#A$ are not going to supply me
> with a
> (free) product to use with another (free) product we should put
> "pressure"
> on them..."
> Does this child think the world owes him/her a living too?
> Why should Diamond (or any other firm) pay any attention to
> such immature rants?

> dc

> > We Need to put pressure on these idiot to support Linux if we buy
> > their product, WHY NOT.
> > I sent diamond an e-mail two weeks ago about it everyone from the
> > linux group should pressure all the none supportive asses.

> >>   Diamond does'nt supply a driver for Linux, but in the new
> >>  xfree86 release 3.3.3  the Permedia2 chip is supported.
> >>  There are also commercial solutions (AcceleratedX and Metro-Link).
> >>  I prefer the Metro-Link driver, cause it is less expensive.

> >>  bye
> >> Thomas

Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by James M. Cap » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Do they write drivers and software for Windows 95,98
> maybe i stated may statement wrong
> why can't that stuff be complied for linux

> > What a childish statement. "If these $%#A$ are not going to supply me
> > with a
> > (free) product to use with another (free) product we should put
> > "pressure"
> > on them..."
> > Does this child think the world owes him/her a living too?
> > Why should Diamond (or any other firm) pay any attention to
> > such immature rants?

> > dc

> > > We Need to put pressure on these idiot to support Linux if we buy
> > > their product, WHY NOT.
> > > I sent diamond an e-mail two weeks ago about it everyone from the
> > > linux group should pressure all the none supportive asses.

Are you serious?

Because X and MS-Windows have different Driver models, so the calls to
the underlying libraries would be distinctly different. In addition the
driver on windows probably doesn't use ANSI C, so porting it away from
Microsoft's version of C would take some time, and for an OS with about
half the user base of the Mac, what's the point?

Yes, the corporations that we pay our valuable dollars to *should*
support their cards on more that just Windows (or at least release
specs, which I think Diamond does), but as Mr. Chafferr pointed out,
immature rants of the caliber of you original post won't get anyone
anywhere.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals
     are more equal than others."
         -- George Orwell, Animal Farm

Diamond FireGL Pro

Post by attobyt » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I see where you are coming from i guess as long as diamond and the others are
helping out the developers so it is easier on them.
Still would be nice to get the support that windows has. Linux is growing fast
right?
I mean i got three people to install it at work by just telling them about it.

atto

Let the Linux Awareness Begin

> > Do they write drivers and software for Windows 95,98
> > maybe i stated may statement wrong
> > why can't that stuff be complied for linux

> > > What a childish statement. "If these $%#A$ are not going to supply me
> > > with a
> > > (free) product to use with another (free) product we should put
> > > "pressure"
> > > on them..."
> > > Does this child think the world owes him/her a living too?
> > > Why should Diamond (or any other firm) pay any attention to
> > > such immature rants?

> > > dc

> Are you serious?

> Because X and MS-Windows have different Driver models, so the calls to
> the underlying libraries would be distinctly different. In addition the
> driver on windows probably doesn't use ANSI C, so porting it away from
> Microsoft's version of C would take some time, and for an OS with about
> half the user base of the Mac, what's the point?

> Yes, the corporations that we pay our valuable dollars to *should*
> support their cards on more that just Windows (or at least release
> specs, which I think Diamond does), but as Mr. Chafferr pointed out,
> immature rants of the caliber of you original post won't get anyone
> anywhere.

>     Jim Cape
>     http://www.jcinteractive.com

>     "All animals are equal, some animals
>      are more equal than others."
>          -- George Orwell, Animal Farm

1. Device drivers for Diamond FireGL Pro 1000

There is an X Binary Free server and ist is supported by Accelerated-X
and the Accelerated-X OpenGL Tech Demo (3D hardware accelerated).  The
board uses a 3Dlabs Permedia 2 chipset.

Accelerated-X is described at http://www.xig.com .  A free demo for the
commercial product is at ftp://ftp.xig.com/pub/demos/ .

The last X Binary Free 3Dlabs server I used for benchmarking, was
downloaded from ftp://ftp.suse.com .

Cheers, JeremyC.
--

 Commercial X Products: Servers, CDE, contracts and custom development

2. ANNOUNCE: CCF -- Application sharing and collaboration environment

3. Diamond FireGL Pro 8Meg Permedia II in 16bpp mode in X

4. Audio read mode for Panasonic CW-7502

5. Is there an X for Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro?

6. Sudden slow down: 33 to 6 Bmips

7. Anybody help with X and 1K FireGL Pro from Diamond!

8. KNEWS Config help needed

9. RH 5.1 problems - Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro, System Commander Deluxe

10. SVGATextMode with Diamond FireGL 1000 pro

11. help: Permedia 2 (Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro)

12. XFCom_3DLabs server & Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro

13. Micron Powerdigm (Dual PII) and Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro