Any 8Mg video cards well supported under upcoming 3.3?

Any 8Mg video cards well supported under upcoming 3.3?

Post by Jeffrey Wiegle » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

I'm in the market to upgrade my video subsystem to match the 21" monitor
I use for my graphics work.

I now use an old Number Nine Imagine 128 (not series 2) card with 4Meg
of video memory but it has a couple of problems:

1) I can't get the higher resolutions and clock rates with it that I can
with a new card, and
2) It won't run at some of the newer, higher PCI bus speeds (for
instance it won't work with a P200 system.

So I want to purchase a newer video card but I'm a little less familiar
with what is available now. The only two 8Meg video cards that I know
will work with linux are the Matrox Millenium and the Number Nine
Imagine 128 (series 2).

questions:

What other 8Meg models are available/recommended?
What are the advantages or disadvantages to any make or model?
Which models are the best supported under XFree 3.2 or 3.2A (3.3),
Metro-X or X-Inside servers? I willing to purchase Metro-X or X-insides
server to get the most from the card.

I'm also interested in 3D performance aspects for games and such but
that would be secondary to the 8Meg and X-windows performance abilities
I use for work.

And now to make this a little more legitemate for the beta list: Why
does it appear under the 3.2A and 3.9 branch that Imagine 128
acceleration support is coming along so slowly?

Thanks for your feedback,

- Jeff Wiegley

1. openbsd 3.3 + (supported) PCMCIA eth. card, quick question.

Hi,

I have a pentium laptop (Compaq armarda 4120T) with a Dayna Communicard
ethernet adaptor (pcmcia - ne2000 based card). I am in the process of
installing OpenBSD 3.3 on it. According to the i386 installation doc, this
card is supported in the generic kernel on boot disk A. The kernel output
for the PCMCIA system is as follows . . .

.
.
.
pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
'Dayna Communications, Inc., Communicard E, " (manufacturer 0x9401, product
0x2400) at pcmcia0 function 0 not configured
pcmcia1 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 1
pcic0: irq 3, polling enabled
.
.
.

Maybe there is a really simple solution to this . . but how can I get the
card recognised as an ethernet device ? I am not sure how to actually
'configure' the card under openbsd ? I tried the exact same card on another
old laptop and got exactly the same err. message.

Thanks!

- Steven.

2. ?? Why Doesn't This Work ??

3. Upcoming RAID card Support

4. Help:Bootp server

5. need Matrox Millennium G-200 AGP 8mg video driver

6. Jumpstart and sysidcfg file - setting the time

7. I find PCI video grabber(or video capture card) supporting Linux

8. Help: Gateway G/Ethernet AT card: jumper/switch Settings

9. Please Help w/RH 5.0 - Video prob when starting X Server but using supported video card

10. trident Cyber9397, was: Xconfigurator problems with a trident image975 8mg , PCI card and XFree86 v4

11. Help: video card supported in RH 6.0, not supported in SlackWare 8.0??

12. Slackware 3.3 on Dell Optiplex GXA (network and video drivers)

13. XFree 3.3.x Cirrus 7548 support