Netscape for X and Netscape for Win95 share cache?

Netscape for X and Netscape for Win95 share cache?

Post by Fraggl » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi. I have Netscape 4.04 for both X-Windows and Windows 95. Can I get
them to share the cache? I assume I would have the cache in the FAT
partition - would this lead to serious performance degration?

As you can probably tell, I only installed Linux this morning ;)

Netscape for X and Netscape for Win95 share cache?

Post by Fraggl » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi. I have Netscape 4.04 for both X-Windows and Windows 95. Can I get
> them to share the cache? I assume I would have the cache in the FAT
> partition - would this lead to serious performance degration?

> As you can probably tell, I only installed Linux this morning ;)

Forgot to mention:

I have mounted the FAT filesystem under /dos
Please make any replies easy to understand (I _AM_ just a stoopid linux
newbie!)

Post by tip » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hi. I have Netscape 4.04 for both X-Windows and Windows 95. Can I get
>them to share the cache? I assume I would have the cache in the FAT
>partition - would this lead to serious performance degration?

no you can't.

actually, when booted into linux, you can mount your win95 partition and in
netscape, specify the cache to be the same cache in win95.

however, you cannot do the vice versa; you can't mount a linux partition onto
win95 as read/write.

--
[ =-=-= want to provide financial backing for my film? email me! -=-= ]

[ & email is spam protected: replace "blahblah" with "stopsmiling" &* ]
[ =-=-=-=-=-= preserve wildlife; pickle a squirrel today. =-=-=-=-=-= ]

Post by Fraggl » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >Hi. I have Netscape 4.04 for both X-Windows and Windows 95. Can I get
> >them to share the cache? I assume I would have the cache in the FAT
> >partition - would this lead to serious performance degration?

> no you can't.

> actually, when booted into linux, you can mount your win95 partition and in
> netscape, specify the cache to be the same cache in win95.

> however, you cannot do the vice versa; you can't mount a linux partition onto
> win95 as read/write.

> --

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. That I can have my cache on my DOS
partition and both Linux and Win95 Netscape read/write it from there.

Post by Joel Har » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> Hi. I have Netscape 4.04 for both X-Windows and Windows 95. Can I get
>> them to share the cache? I assume I would have the cache in the FAT
>> partition - would this lead to serious performance degration?

>> As you can probably tell, I only installed Linux this morning ;)

>Forgot to mention:

>I have mounted the FAT filesystem under /dos
>Please make any replies easy to understand (I _AM_ just a stoopid linux
>newbie!)

Hmm... seems like it *might* be possible.  Try this (you'll probably need to
log in as root):

rm -rf /home/[username]/.netscape
ln -s /home/[username]/.netscape /dos/[netscape directory]

Where [username] is the name of the user(s) (the name you type to log in)
that you want to have shared caches with, and [netscape directory] is the
directory in your DOS drive where Netscape keeps all of its stuff.

WARNING: This could royally*your Netscape setup.  You might wanna make
backups of both the Win95 and Linux versions of Netscape (unless you've got
at least an ISDN, when re-downloading the whole mess isn't much of a big
deal) and your bookmark files and stuff.

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/~deeng -- due for a major overhaul eventually?
http://www.veryComputer.com/          -- Linux!

1. Can netscape/linux use the same config files as for netscape/win95?

Hi to all!

I use nescape 2 under win95 AND netscape 2 for Linux.

I'd like to know if it is possible to make netscape / linux use
the config files of netscape /win95. For example I'd like
to use the same mailbox. When I check my mail with netscape/win95
I keep my older messages, and reply them later, under linux sometimes..

It will also be easier for my bookmarks.

My linux is installed on a linux-partition (NON-UMSDOS) and my
dos partitions are mounted with the 'conv=auto' option.

Thanx a lot

                                        [FReD]

2. Bulk Rename Date Format

3. Is it just me or is Netscape for linux slower than Netscape for win95?

4. Q: Memeory and Soundcard setup nightmare (Mandrake 7.0)

5. Whis is faster? Netscape--Win95 or Netscape-Linux

6. crypt command

7. Sharing Netscape cache?

8. Patching apache

9. Non Netscape Proxy between Netscape Commerce Server & Netscape Browser

10. Netscape bookmarks - sharing with win95

11. Sharing Netscape mail between linux/win95

12. Netscape bookmarks - sharing with Win95

13. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95