Odd things happening after 2nd ide drive installed...

Odd things happening after 2nd ide drive installed...

Post by Glen Morre » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi, linux gurus,

I've been happily using linux for about 2 years.  The other day I
added a second IDE drive.  Odd things are happening.

I've got an Intel Zappa motherboard, which has the Triton 430FX
chipset.  The first drive is a Western Digital AC31200, which has
lived happily on the primary ide channel for a few years.  It is
jumpered as a "single drive", whatever that might mean, which is not
the same jumper setting as either master or slave.  The new drive is
an IBM Deskstar 3, 2.1 GB.  I installed it as the master drive on the
second IDE channel. It has no "single drive" jumper setting, just
master or slave.  According to my BIOS setup program, BIOS detects
both drives correctly as master drives on each of the two IDE
interfaces, and shows nothing installed as slave for either of the two
interfaces.

When linux boots, it goes like this:

Mar 11 21:23:31 yourmachinenamehere kernel: hda: WDC AC31200F,
1222MB w/64KB Cache, LBA, CHS=621/64/63, MaxMult=16
Mar 11 21:23:31 yourmachinenamehere kernel: hdb: non-IDE device,
CHS=1023/64/63
Mar 11 21:23:31 yourmachinenamehere kernel: hdb: cannot handle
disk with 64 physical heads
Mar 11 21:23:31 yourmachinenamehere kernel: hdc: IBM-DAQA-32160,
2014MB w/96KB Cache, LBA, CHS=1023/64/63, MaxMult=16

This is with kernel version 2.0.27, with the Triton optimizations to
the IDE driver enabled.  The same thing happens with kernel version
1.2.8, with the vanilla IDE driver.

After complaining like this, the kernel boots happily and never
mentions the mysterious /dev/hdb again until the next bootup.  The new
drive appears as /dev/hdc, and the old drive is /dev/hda like it
always has been.

I tried re-jumpering my first drive (Western Digital) as "master", but
this caused everything to hang up before the BIOS had even finished
booting.

So my question is, does anyone know what's happening here?  I've read
all the Fine Manuals I can find, with no enlightenment.  I recall
there used to be an IDE How-to, but I can't find it in any of the
usual places.  As far as I know, the correct thing to do with two hard
drives and two IDE channels is to jumper them both as master drives
and put one on each channel.  Is this wrong?  Is there some weirdness
of the IBM drive that makes it unhappy with this situation?

One other observation... My Western Digital drive has always appeared
to linux to have 64 heads.  The new IBM drive reports 16 heads.  I had
some cylinder-alignment trouble when I defined both DOS and linux
partitions on it, but that went away with "hdc=1023,64,63"" in my lilo
config.  So the 64 head geometry that appears in the boot message
above is not what the drive reports if you ask it, it's what I said on
the linux command line.  But I believe that once the drive is
partitioned, this doesn't really matter.  My bios and both drives
support LBA.

Any suggestions or education about the mysterious /dev/hdb would be
welcome.  Thanks in advance,

                                Glen Morrell

Post by Laurent PICOULE » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> [...]
>drives and two IDE channels is to jumper them both as master drives
>and put one on each channel.  Is this wrong?  Is there some weirdness
>of the IBM drive that makes it unhappy with this situation?
>One other observation... My Western Digital drive has always appeared
>to linux to have 64 heads.  The new IBM drive reports 16 heads.  I had
>some cylinder-alignment trouble when I defined both DOS and linux
>partitions on it, but that went away with "hdc=1023,64,63"" in my lilo
>config.  So the 64 head geometry that appears in the boot message
>above is not what the drive reports if you ask it, it's what I said on
>the linux command line.  But I believe that once the drive is
>partitioned, this doesn't really matter.  My bios and both drives
>support LBA.
>Any suggestions or education about the mysterious /dev/hdb would be

Go in your bios setup and configure for NO primary slave drive and NO
secondary slave. And you MUST keep your WDC AC31200 configured as single it
will avoid it searching for a slave drive for about a minute at boot time.

Hope it will solve your problem.
 _      _                      Mon chien est plus beau que mes dessins.
' /####\_ `                    Il ne s'intresse ni a Linux, ni TeX.
  (O)(O) \_                #   Je crois meme qu'il jalouse l'ordinateur
   // _    \______________##   lorsque j'y consacre plus de temps qu'a lui.

       |         ##   /     |  Aussi, excusez la brievete de ce message,
       | |  /    ____|     /   mais il y a des choses plus distrayantes que de taper
       | | |____/    \\   /    de longs e.mail.